Get the top hand through.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Interesting. I know this is a conversation that has been ongoing on this site. I have been using the cue with my 17 y/o daughter and my 11/12 y/o team for the past 2 months - "Turn the barrel with your top hand at the back shoulder" while leading with the hips. It has provided some pretty good results in terms of power. A lot of young players push knob to ball and leave the barrel behind. Now whether the hands are actually turning the barrel or just holding the hinge angle and not succumbing to the inertia of the mass of the barrel I cannot say for certain.

What you can say is that your hands are holding the bat ... and that your daughter is more in tune to her hands from a 'feel' perspective ... that she is using her hands at least as a 'feeler' to sense the barrel ... that she uses that 'feel' to use her body to manipulate the barrel. In other words ... she is building "educated hands".

R

RayR

That's pretty much it....not sure why the big push against using the hands more actively....everyone I know who has tried this out report good to great results....

Interesting. I know this is a conversation that has been ongoing on this site. I have been using the cue with my 17 y/o daughter and my 11/12 y/o team for the past 2 months - "Turn the barrel with your top hand at the back shoulder" while leading with the hips. It has provided some pretty good results in terms of power. A lot of young players push knob to ball and leave the barrel behind. Now whether the hands are actually turning the barrel or just holding the hinge angle and not succumbing to the inertia of the mass of the barrel I cannot say for certain.

Feb 14, 2010
Howser,

That's something I've told my DD also. I noticed in some of her older swings she was using her hands to late and it was causing her to leave the barrel behind a little. The last couple of weeks we've really focused on hand usage more and the increase in power without losing the ability to adjust has been very impressive. Like anyone else we are constantly trying to get better.

May 16, 2010
Howser,

That's something I've told my DD also. I noticed in some of her older swings she was using her hands to late and it was causing her to leave the barrel behind a little. The last couple of weeks we've really focused on hand usage more and the increase in power without losing the ability to adjust has been very impressive. Like anyone else we are constantly trying to get better.
I'm not saying that you don't use the hands. I'm saying that you don't use them to pull the barrel rearward as the first usage.

Yes, most girls and boys pull the knob and use the hands way too late, but you don't yank the barrel rearward (with the hands). The bat flattens, then goes rearward with the shoulder tilt and simultaneous change of elbow position. The hands get used while they are still at the back armpit, right as the drop of the back elbow completes.

In the video with Finch, Bonds held his hands about where the picture below has them, and he told her to throw the barrel from there. IMO, he gets the bat in that position from elbow and shoulder movement, not hand action. See the video below.

bonds approach_ap.jpg

bonds-elbows.gif

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
What you can say is that your hands are holding the bat ... and that your daughter is more in tune to her hands from a 'feel' perspective ... that she is using her hands at least as a 'feeler' to sense the barrel ... that she uses that 'feel' to use her body to manipulate the barrel. In other words ... she is building "educated hands".
I think that makes good sense. good way to say it. My younger one isn't quite getting it with game swings yet. I see it off the tee but in games still casting with straight front arm (though effective at 11)
Howser,

That's something I've told my DD also. I noticed in some of her older swings she was using her hands to late and it was causing her to leave the barrel behind a little. The last couple of weeks we've really focused on hand usage more and the increase in power without losing the ability to adjust has been very impressive.
Wouldn't mind seeing some of those swings in a PM or on the board. it is great to see some good swings other than college swings and your DD's is looking pretty nice.

IMO, he gets the bat in that position from elbow and shoulder movement, not hand action. See the video below.
that is an interesting clip based on your argument jbooth. can you tell, was that an outside pitch?

May 16, 2010
that is an interesting clip based on your argument jbooth. can you tell, was that an outside pitch?

I don't know, and it doesn't matter. He throws the barrel to wherever the ball is; from that universal position. The arms guide the barrel to the ball. But, it is thrown from body rotation and hand action.

Feb 14, 2010
Booth,

I agree that the hips and the initial shoulder tilt get the barrel turning. IMO if you start to turn the barrel with the hands immediately it creates on longer and slower swing. From my personal experience kids have a tendency to forget about their hands because they are so focused on the weight shift and rotation. Just my .02

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1