General question about tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2016
Some background first: This is our second year we have our DD trying out. Last year, she tried out for a team that offered her a spot immediately after the tryout. We accepted it immediately as well.

This year, we decided to allow our her to tryout for more teams, as she is moving up to 14U. Her previous team wants her to play with them, even before the tryout she was approached by the club director. Still, we went ahead and let her tryout for a different team so that we could see other organizations.

She attended the tryout with this other team. She had a mild sprain in her ankle and she could not do the running part of the tryout, but for the things she could do, she did either at par or better than other girls there. They told us to expect some notification shortly thereafter. It's being a week since the tryout ended, and so far we had received 2 emails (the last one 2 days ago) asking us to be patient.

Given that our only experience with this last year was that we received immediate notification, my question is:

Do you guys/gals think this is normal? Have any experienced this long of a wait?

I'm thinking that there are potentially a few scenarios here:

1. That they are still really putting the teams together.
2. That my DD is in some form of a waiting list and that they are waiting for confirmation from the selected players.
3. That they are writing the emails to the rejects and they had not gotten to my DD yet.

We just like to know so that we can move on. But in the meantime, I guess we just wait and be patient. She is trying out with her previous team next week anyway...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
We're all still waiting. I had one coach for whom DD tried out at the end of July ask me to contact him this week (week of 8/8). I texted him on 8/8 as requested and still no reply. I know he read the text. I suspect he's still seeing girls privately and doesn't want to cut anyone loose until he has data on the whole pool. But it would be nice to know if you're out of the running so you can move on.

Aug 5, 2016
We're all still waiting. I had one coach for whom DD tried out at the end of July ask me to contact him this week (week of 8/8). I texted him on 8/8 as requested and still no reply. I know he read the text. I suspect he's still seeing girls privately and doesn't want to cut anyone loose until he has data on the whole pool. But it would be nice to know if you're out of the running so you can move on.

This organization had over many girls trying out. It is a big and recognized organization. So I'm sure they are not making private tryouts. They do have a few 14U teams, so I figure there is about a 60% probability that my DD makes it...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
I expect it's probably option #2.
The organization we left 2 years ago did stuff like that even to their own players and then doesn't understand why players walk.
Our current coach holds 3 tryouts and announces the team after that, he has 8 returning players so he told the girls/parents at the initial tryout that he has 5 available spots, he encourages going to all 3 tryouts if possible because he understands that a player can have a bad day or be nervous.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
With 200 applicants, its boiling down to finding the best 36 to 39 girls available... period
That may take some time to review all the notes, and as far as the ankle sprain goes, unless someone there knows her and can vouch for her speed or base running skills.... that's a potential problem!

Dec 8, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds to me like the coach is waiting for acceptance of offers before cutting bait with your DD so she's not in the "sorry you didn't make it" group but not in the "we want you" group either. If she was firmly in either group, you would know.

Aug 5, 2016
Sounds to me like the coach is waiting for acceptance of offers before cutting bait with your DD so she's not in the "sorry you didn't make it" group but not in the "we want you" group either. If she was firmly in either group, you would know.

That is one of my theories...

Aug 5, 2016
Another scenario I just thought about is...

4. They don't notify the rejects

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors