General play at 1st question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
confused by this answer. are you saying the first baseman should play the throw as in infielder(what our coach teaches) or play the throw with a foot on the base and stepping towards the person making the throw(as in baseball).
Sometimes you have to play the ball and not worry about holding the base.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
confused by this answer. are you saying the first baseman should play the throw as in infielder(what our coach teaches) or play the throw with a foot on the base and stepping towards the person making the throw(as in baseball).

Absolutely. What happens if you put the wrong foot on the base and stretch? You are locked into a position that limits mobility and ability to stop a bad throw.

Amy is correct. You straddle the base, preferably with you heels at the inside corners. Once the throw is released, then you reach out to catch the ball and kick back a toe to contact the base. If possible, the foot should never be on top of the bases. This allows you to have your weight evenly distributed and balanced, and still mobile enough to go in any direction to stop the ball with minimal difficulty. This allows you to avoid the BRs path. It also keeps the foot and ankle away from anywhere the BR should be, even by mistake.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Correct. Catch the ball, tap the base and stay inside the base path. But 99% of the time, the girl runs to the base, puts her foot on it and then, tries to catch the ball. Which is what I was doing when I arrived at college, because no one took the time to teach me (or knew.) The coach told me and I have corrected it ever since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes