Gascoine's Off-Speed Curve

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
Rich,

Does the change you worked with her involve the ball coming out of the back of the hand with the thumb pushing? Curious what you worked with her. Thanks

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Rich, you asked, I'll answer. No idea what else she threw or if she used more than one wind up. Only ever seen her in this video of one pitch.

Now I will direct a question to you

I am sure you realize how much MORE spin and movement she COULD HAVE given the ball if she would have released it farther out front and NOT stopped her elbow at the back leg. A good leap and drag pitcher would not do that. Thrown at the same speed, how much more would the ball have moved sideways compared to how much it moved in this video clip?

Jul 31, 2011
Hal
Your question reveals your ignorance! She strikes out 10 of the last 15 outs in the game and you're expressing that you could help her make it move more by releasing further out in front. The main reason she was so consistent and with such effective movement is because she's releasing right under her belly button like most world class pitchers. There is something for you to learn here if you would be open to it. I would be happy to meet you in the Tracy area to discuss it.

Jul 14, 2008
I am sure you realize how much MORE spin and movement she COULD HAVE given the ball if she would have released it farther out front and NOT stopped her elbow at the back leg. A good leap and drag pitcher would not do that.

Let me get this straight. Hal Skinner is going to tell Rich Balswick how to pitch?........Or how to teach pitching better then he already does????

BWAAAAAAA-HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

It was only a matter of time folks.......Amazing............

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I would love to be able to clone Gascoigne but mirror her clone as a rhp and see what the effectiveness difference would be. I can only wonder......

After seeing it mirrored... I don't think think the batter had intentions of taking one for the team....Still think this is the best pitch in the set !!! :cool:Toe tap...&.......turn ???... See her hold her hand out there and quack her fingers... I've read about that somewhere. Best pitch looks like External ???

4.gif

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Something's wrong with you dude.........It's kind of funny actually...........
Maybe you could make this gif run JUST A LITTLE SLOWER???..........Oh My Gaud............

Whats wrong with you... I posted it where I got it...out of habit..... It was a request for the Slo-mo Movement Thread... Oh your goad :cool:

Jul 31, 2011
Abbygale
I was kidding when I said the change up I taught Michelle is better than the one I taught her. I tend to teach an off speed drop as a change. I would describe the change she's throwing now is more like your describing, a flip change, but as she releases it, she is pulling more across the ball ( instead of more straight up as with a traditional flip with the back of the hand leading) creating some side spin and hence some curving action on her current change. I think the way she sells it is what causes a big part of her success plus she doesn't use it very often which then has a shocking and surprising effect.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Hal
Your question reveals your ignorance! She strikes out 10 of the last 15 outs in the game and you're expressing that you could help her make it move more by releasing further out in front. The main reason she was so consistent and with such effective movement is because she's releasing right under her belly button like most world class pitchers. There is something for you to learn here if you would be open to it. I would be happy to meet you in the Tracy area to discuss it.

Your response rev eals your arrogance. Your reputation preceeds you there as well as your accomplishments in the circle, I know. I made the mistake of referring a couple students to you when I stopped teaching in 2003. I heard all about it.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Your response rev eals your arrogance. You reputation preceeds you there as well as your accomplishments in the circle, I know. I made the mistake of referring a couple students to you when I stopped teaching in 2003. I heard all about it.

Hal,
I hope someday you'll figure this stuff out. Not just the basics of pitching, but maybe just a little respect and tact.

Best wishes,
Ken

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
On another note . . . could someone GIF the slow-motion sliding catch between the 0:11 and 0:14 mark on the OP's video? I'd be thankful!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan