Garage practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2011
Texarkana, TX
Im wanting to fix my DD a space in the garage to work on hitting/pitching practice but i'm not sure what to do..what kind of setup do you have in the garage? I have a jugs pop up net but i think its to big. I'd like to have some kind of rubber mat on the wall so we don't end up with holes and she'll need something on the ground to prevent her slipping....would appricate any suggestions or pictures. Ty!

lynsey

Jun 18, 2010
I have a net and large piece of astro turf. DD pitches into the net using the astro turf with a power line marked on it. For hitting, we move the turf and she stands on it for stability from the slick garage floor. She hits off the T and I also throw soft toss to her. We have to place some weight on the front and back of the net so that it does not move. I will try to take a photo of the setup and post it over the weekend.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I put down a 3' x 6' rubber backed entrance way rug I got at Home Depot. Inset a pitchers mound plate in the end. I got a steel hauling tarp off of a steel hauling trucking company for free since it was all cut up. It was long enough to cut it into 4 large pieces and I hung them from the cieling joists. It was easy because these tarps already have large eyelets riveted in them in several places and they were wide enough to double up. I painted a box on the tarp for DD to practice hitting her corners when pitching and then we use the same set-up to hit into the tarp with tees. The whole pitching/hitting set-up cost me under $200 including 2 dozen new balls and two inexpensive tees.

Nov 8, 2010
practice setup

I used use the jugs net in the garage but i agree it was too big and not really set up for that. I just got one of these for pitching:
Amazon.com: ATEC Pro Pitcher's Practice Screen with Stand: Sports & Outdoors

It works great and even allows my daughter to work on a bit of control even though we are in a confined space. The best part about this is, it works great for hitting off a tee also. I may go ahead and hang a piece of carpet up behind it to stop any balls that get by it. In the garage we can pitch, hit off tees, drop toss and side soft toss.

May 25, 2011
Set up

I bought a rubber back entrance type carpet 8x5 or so for the floor. Set up a T and hung a piece of carpet from a shelf I put up very high on the wall. Make sure to have about a foot and a half between the carpet and the wall. Hitting regular balls you will need that clearance so that the hit balls wont hit the drywall. If you are using a heavy carpet you will need less clearance.

I set up some tunes with an old radio that stays there all the time. I usually place the softballs on the tee for her for about a bucket and then go elsewhere to do some chores. She turns up the radio and goes to work.

I have some old fold up chairs that she uses when she has friends over. They take turns and bat out there for quite a while. Good luck with setting up a good area. It has been great for us.

Jun 18, 2010
I have a net and large piece of astro turf. DD pitches into the net using the astro turf with a power line marked on it. For hitting, we move the turf and she stands on it for stability from the slick garage floor. She hits off the T and I also throw soft toss to her. We have to place some weight on the front and back of the net so that it does not move. I will try to take a photo of the setup and post it over the weekend.

garage.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I could see someone selling some sort of package like this, if you could make it cheap enough.

A couple of years ago, I had a nice set up. I put cup hooks in the frame of the garage door. I opened the door and strung a net up, that I already had. Then, when I finished hitting, I simply took the net down. Two days later, the guide wires for the garage door get hung up in the cup hooks and I had a $149.00 repair. My husband said "Someone had put hooks in the frame of the garage door." hmmmm.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I also made a 3/4 plywood cut-out of a batter for my DD to practice her pitching.Traced my DS on the wood and cut it out.Can be seen in one of the pics.Bat got knocked off from storing it in my truck.

Jun 16, 2010
cage

No fun hitting when you cant see where the ball is going.

you can do soft toss too, MAJOR plus.

dont forget pitching, throwing, etc

cagesplus.com

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd