Inside/garage practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2023
With winter coming, i’d like to create a space in the garage for my daughter to practice pitching. Not a ton of space, maybe 12x24’, but enough to throw into a tarp. Any suggestions on how to hang a tarp?

Oct 9, 2018
Texas
With winter coming, i’d like to create a space in the garage for my daughter to practice pitching. Not a ton of space, maybe 12x24’, but enough to throw into a tarp. Any suggestions on how to hang a tarp?
Do you need the tarp to slide out of the way or just hang in one spot all winter?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I just use a Bownet rather than a tarp. It catches the balls rather than just dropping them. My garage is only 22X22, so I work diagonally. We also use a 10X6 batting mat to use as a pitching floor. While not ideal, it beats not pitching or paying $40 per hour four times a week for a local cage.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
There are threads on this subject. Use the search feature and see if you can read some of them. I recall some really creative use of space.

Nov 18, 2022
We use a bownet against the wall with a tarp hanging from it to keep the balls from pounding the wall so hard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 20, 2023
How bad is your winter? We leave a pitching mat in the backyard and my daughter shovels it before school and if it’s sunny it’s good to go by the time school gets out. Granted we rarely have more than 6-8” of snow on the ground and lots of sun - if we had 3’ retrieving balls would not be practical.

I need to add a new piece of turf in the middle for warm ups. I already added one behind the pitching mat - so her back foot doesn’t get mud on it and then on the mat.

Oct 1, 2023
Do you need the tarp to slide out of the way or just hang in one spot all winter?
So it would be great if I could rig something up to slide out of the way.
I just use a Bownet rather than a tarp. It catches the balls rather than just dropping them. My garage is only 22X22, so I work diagonally. We also use a 10X6 batting mat to use as a pitching floor. While not ideal, it beats not pitching or paying $40 per hour four times a week for a local cage.
We also have a net, but I would like something to stop the ball from beating the wall. I was thinking a tarp hung taun
we have a net(which I was thinking of also using) but my thought was to hang a tarp tautly to stop the ball and protect the tool bench/ workshop behind it.

Oct 1, 2023
How bad is your winter? We leave a pitching mat in the backyard and my daughter shovels it before school and if it’s sunny it’s good to go by the time school gets out. Granted we rarely have more than 6-8” of snow on the ground and lots of sun - if we had 3’ retrieving balls would not be practical.

I need to add a new piece of turf in the middle for warm ups. I already added one behind the pitching mat - so her back foot doesn’t get mud on it and then on the mat.
Maybe I’m a wimp, but It gets pretty cold in iowa in the winter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles