Game to teach softball players how to slide

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Sliding is one of those softball skills that can be a problem for some players. Many who have the issue are afraid of getting hurt so they avoid it at all costs. That can be a problem in a game, where a good slide (versus running all the way to the base) can mean the difference between safe or out.

How do you get them to overcome that fear? Part of it is teaching them good technique. If they're confident they won't hurt themselves too badly they'll be more likely to give it a try. Still, doing it in practice is one thing. Doing it in a game, well, that's something else.

This fall I was working with a team that had several players who didn't like to slide. That led me to create a game that not only gave them lots of practice but made it fun.

Of course, before we played the game we worked on basic technique. I took them into the outfield and had them take their cleats off. That was important so they wouldn't catch a cleat and turn or break an ankle.

We set up two lines, with a base about 20 feet away. We went over the technique, stressing the importance of running full speed and then driving out instead of sitting straight down. That when on for 15 minutes or so, when everyone was at least giving it a try. Then we did a few other things before coming to the game.

For that, we set four or five bases spaced somewhat randomly, i.e. not in a square. Then it was basically a game of tag. The rules were simple.

One person was "it," just as in regular tag. If you were standing on a base you were safe. But, and here's the important part, only two people could be on a base at any given time. There were more than eight players, so that meant some were always off a base. You could run to a base to be safe, but in order to occupy it you had to slide. Once the "free" player slid in, one of the players who had been on the base had to get off. She could not come back to that base, but she could go to another. If the player didn't slide, she wasn't safe on the base and could be tagged. If a player was tagged by "it" she became the new "it."

Once the element of competition was introduced, the players forgot their fear. They were so focused on not being it they were sliding freely and frequently. They were also laughing and having fun. It was great conditioning too - they were huffing and puffing after all the running.

I was told it translated into their next game - a couple of players who hadn't been willing to slide before did it - and were safe.

If you have players who don't like to slide give this game a try. I think you'll like the results.

Now it's your turn. Have you had any players who didn't like sliding? What did you do to help them?

More...

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Looking forward to using that one!

Here's another:
Sliding Limbo
On a hot day and at the end of practice, we wet down the grass going into a base. Take a swimming noodle and hold it about 3 feet up and 4 or so feet out. Each kid takes a turn and gets two tries to get under the noodle without touching. Drop the noodle a few inches after everyone's taken a turn. Winner gets to pick the first popcicle.

Feb 7, 2013
We have always used a sliding mat to practice technique before sliding on the infield and the girls love it and its completely safe. You can also use the sliding mat to practice dives to catch fly balls before diving on the grass.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Looking forward to using that one!

Here's another:
Sliding Limbo
On a hot day and at the end of practice, we wet down the grass going into a base. Take a swimming noodle and hold it about 3 feet up and 4 or so feet out. Each kid takes a turn and gets two tries to get under the noodle without touching. Drop the noodle a few inches after everyone's taken a turn. Winner gets to pick the first popcicle.

Sounds like fun. I like it!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My way of teaching the 8-9 year olds...
After teaching basic posture of the figure 4 and hands up. I will rake in some extra dirt in front of 2nd base. With an asst. coach on one side of the base path and me on the other, Sally will full speed sprint towards the bag, as she approaches approx 10-12 feet she will hold her hands up and throw her legs towards the bag.(in the figure 4 position) We then grab her hands and forearms/ elbow and guide her into the bag smooth and softly (this eliminates fear)
After several reps of this we progress to the coaches only grabbing her hand. Then once they're comfortable it progresses into a high five only... and within 45 min. the whole team can slide like a pro!
To make it even stronger, wait until next practice and repeat as needed... then it can be advanced into a pop up by again having two coaches on either side of the bag, only this time they're at the bag or slightly behind it, as Sally is sliding in with her hands up, the two coaches each grab a hand and pull her up to her feet as her foot reaches the bag. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Ken, thanks this game was a big hit with my 9-10 year olds at Saturday practice and every single one of them slide today in practice. I'm hoping working a little sliding in to every practice will carry over to games.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
I basically do the same as Coach James but I like using a bat held by two coaches on each side. I found it makes it
easier for the players to grab on to. It makes them feel like they r the one in control. I also use cardboard w/o cleats to make sliding easier! Works great!