Gaining an advantage on base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
In fastpitch softball, it's not always easy to get runners on base. That's why you need to take advantage of the situation as much as you can.

Many coaches like to bunt as soon as they get a runner on base, giving up an out to advance the runner 60 feet. As regular readers know, I'm not a big fan of that, especially since it only increases your chances of scoring by two percent.

Still, it would be nice to get that runner moved. So how do you do it? Sometimes you have the hitter bunt for what hopefully turns out to be a hit. That takes a lot of practice and a lot of discipline. But there is another way. You can take advantage of the pitcher.

The key is your baserunners have to change the way they watch the game. Most runners tend to take their leads, and then watch to see what happens at the plate. That's too late. Instead, they should be watching the pitch out of the pitcher's hand and taking advantage of what they see.

For example, if the pitcher has a great change a baserunner who can recognize it can bolt immediately for the next base as soon as they recognize it, hopefully before it's halfway to the plate. What does that do?

Consider a pitcher throwing 55 mph, with a 40 mph change. While that change is on its way to the plate, the runner is running, and there's nothing the catcher can do until the ball makes its way there. Do that a couple of times on changeups and not only are you likely to advance some runners for free, your hitters probably won't have to worry too much about a change of speed when there are runners on base.

Another thing to watch for is the pitch that's on its way to the dirt. It's good if your hitters recognize when a ball is hitting the dirt and take off. It's better if they realize halfway there that it's going to hit the dirt and take off before it actually happens. It may throw the catcher off, forcing her to try to throw the ball before she has it. If it doesn't, she still has to block it and then make the throw on a runner who is 10-15 feet further than she would've been if she waited.

It definitely takes some practice, but it's worth the effort. Just remember to reward your runners for their aggressiveness!

More...

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Fundamentally I agree about trying to advance the runner w/out sacrificing an out. However, I disagree about identifying then change up and then running because I don't think the math works.
mph ft/mi ft/hr ft/min ft/sec sec/40 ft
40 5280 211200 3520 58.66666667 0.681818182
55 5280 290400 4840 80.66666667 0.495867769
There's less the 0.2 seconds difference in the time that it takes the 40 mph change to reach the plate (from 40 ft) than a 55 mph FB. I think it would take at least 0.1 second for the runner to ID the change and I think if they weren't initially stealing on the pitch it would actually take more time for them to get to second than if they went on a FB. Additionally, the runner may mistake another pitch for a change and end up being out cold. My preference would be to put the hitter deep in the box and fake a bunt with a straight steal.

Other thoughts?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Other thoughts?

Eyeing the change for a steal might work more at 10u, 12u, maybe early 14u. Most pitchers are not dead on accurate with it yet. It's usually in the dirt, over the catchers head, or outside enough that the catcher will be off balance to catch it or knock it down. IMO, it also depends on the wheels of the runner. I might be more inclined to send my top two wheels on a change.

I liked your math to back up your point.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Greenmonsters, how many times have you seen a runner out by a step or two? Even .1 seconds can make a difference.

I first got the idea after hearing about it from an 18U gold coach. He said another team -- admittedly with some pretty fast kids -- took his best pitcher out of her game because they stole on her change every time.

I agree that when the pitch speeds get more into the 60+ range it would be a lot tougher. Both because the ball gets there faster and presumably everyone on the field is a better athlete, which means, quicker, stronger arms, etc. But I've run it against some pretty good teams. Never discount throwing the other team off their rhythm.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck