Fun practice ideas

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 1, 2012
Okay I have just realized that I will only have about six or seven of my 14u girls at practice tonight. We are in the high school gym so we cannot use bats or hard softballs. Softies and tennis balls only. I usually run a very structured practice changing the focus of the drill every 15 minutes and we have the gym for an hour and a half. All works out well. But with only six kids I'm looking for something really fun to do - ideas?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
We play a game at the end of practice that my players nicknamed "booty ball". We use a regular bat and a TCB wiffle (any wiffle will work) and no gloves. The girl at bat hits fungos to the players in the field. If she hits a fly ball that is caught, she is out, and the girl who caught it is up to bat. If she hits a grounder (or fly ball that is not caught), she lays the bat down on the ground. The girl that fields the ball has to roll the ball from where she is and try to hit the bat. If she hits the bat, she is up. If she misses, the batter continues until she is out. If the batter swings and misses twice, she is out, and the girl who gets to the ball first is up.

It teaches the girls to hit fungos (which they would otherwise never learn) and to be aggressive fielding balls as they compete with the other players.

I let my girls play war. It's dodge ball softball style. Split them in half each team on opposite ends of the gym or play space. Gotta have a "line" in the middle on the ground the girls throw the ball it has to hit the ground before the line and bounce over. The fielder has to field it cleanly, if not they're out. If a thrower throws the ball and it doesn't hit the ground before the line they're out. We'll play one round of you're still alive if your teammate backs up your fielding error, then move to gotta be clean. They love it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes