Frustrated DD - Dumb Parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
And as a Coach if I don't like the results your child will be riding the bench with me. It goes both ways. Just because you are paying for it doesn't make it right (or effective).

Again something to work out before you accept an offer to join a team.

Agreed, but in this scenario, you've already offered the girl a spot on her team based off her current results, obtained by her current PC. If you had intentions of "correcting" things, you had better made sure to communicate that up front BEFORE the offer is made. We both agree that it's based off RESULTS.

You may not have meant it this way, but your statement has the tone of "my way, or the high way". My DD pitches, I make sure that a team coach, who isn't a pitching coach, knows that she has a pitching coach and he is responsible for her mechanics. My DD is responsible for her results. I also encourage the team coach to call the pitching coach if they notice any issues. If a coach benches my DD for not following her coaches "style", then I did a poor job of finding her a team to play on.

I've heard so much terrible pitching advice from to many coaches during tournaments. Again, you may be a great pitching coach as well as a team coach, but sadly, that's not always the case.

Oct 22, 2009
Agreed, but in this scenario, you've already offered the girl a spot on her team based off her current results, obtained by her current PC. If you had intentions of "correcting" things, you had better made sure to communicate that up front BEFORE the offer is made. We both agree that it's based off RESULTS.

You may not have meant it this way, but your statement has the tone of "my way, or the high way". My DD pitches, I make sure that a team coach, who isn't a pitching coach, knows that she has a pitching coach and he is responsible for her mechanics. My DD is responsible for her results. I also encourage the team coach to call the pitching coach if they notice any issues. If a coach benches my DD for not following her coaches "style", then I did a poor job of finding her a team to play on.

I've heard so much terrible pitching advice from to many coaches during tournaments. Again, you may be a great pitching coach as well as a team coach, but sadly, that's not always the case.

Another thing this forum is wonderful for, helping stop some conflicts before they occur. Always discuss your DD's [itching mechanics with the coach before signing on.

I had one of my pitchers join a 14U team. The coached loved everything about her, pitching and hitting.
For the first 2 tournaments she was the #1 pitcher out pitching 3 others on his team.

Then it happened. Her team was an organization run by this coach. He had a building where he taught all aspects of softball, and all players were "encouraged" to attend his classes.
He told her she either changed her hitting style (which was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw, and no one on the team could hit) and change her pitching style, and attend his classes or she'd start sitting out.

This was a difficult time for her parents, I'd been her PC since she was 9yrs old and she was a very successful pitcher. They hated to leave me. He was promising her tons of new speed with his push/down pull up HE mechanics.
They even asked me if I would just change her. I refused.
I gave them some videos, asked them to educate themselves before making the decision. They did, and she ended up sitting most games only coming in to close on tight games. Then when their contract was up, they moved on to a better team.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I have reviewed the video evidence and I can confirm Dr. F's Diagnosis, the poor bastard does indeed have cranial rectal inversion syndrome. I am praying that his name is C.R.I.S so that every time you say his name you get the image burned into your mind.

Taking a girl with that athleticism and that form and asking her to tack on that HE finish is insane....it tells you a whole lot about the coach, and I do not care how likeable he is or how much experience he has. Java gave 100X more insightful feedback from a little video clip.

He is a loose cannon who does not instruct from a knowledgeable point of view; he is prone to just repeating what he has heard or seen in the past; I will extrapolate this to hitting/fielding/throwing etc. Judgmental as it may sound, I have run across this coach many times and you need to get away fast because there is ZERO chance that the bad advice is contained just to pitching. I guarantee his thought cancer has spread to other aspects of his coaching.

The best coaches I have seen, the ones who field great teams, expect their pitchers to be effective and that is all they care about. They might tell a girl that she needs to be faster to get more time, or needs a movement pitch, but they leave it to the kid and the PC to get there.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I have reviewed the video evidence and I can confirm Dr. F's Diagnosis, the poor bastard does indeed have cranial rectal inversion syndrome. I am praying that his name is C.R.I.S so that every time you say his name you get the image burned into your mind.

Taking a girl with that athleticism and that form and asking her to tack on that HE finish is insane....it tells you a whole lot about the coach, and I do not care how likeable he is or how much experience he has. Java gave 100X more insightful feedback from a little video clip.

He is a loose cannon who does not instruct from a knowledgeable point of view; he is prone to just repeating what he has heard or seen in the past; I will extrapolate this to hitting/fielding/throwing etc. Judgmental as it may sound, I have run across this coach many times and you need to get away fast because there is ZERO chance that the bad advice is contained just to pitching. I guarantee his thought cancer has spread to other aspects of his coaching.

The best coaches I have seen, the ones who field great teams, expect their pitchers to be effective and that is all they care about. They might tell a girl that she needs to be faster to get more time, or needs a movement pitch, but they leave it to the kid and the PC to get there.

So, the coach was wrong? :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So, the coach was wrong? :)

I admit I got a little lost on which coach was which....but the coach that said to tack on the HE finish towards the middle/end of the original video is not just wrong, he should be tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered, then hung, shot and finally burned at the stake, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
I admit I got a little lost on which coach was which....but the coach that said to tack on the HE finish towards the middle/end of the original video is not just wrong, he should be tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered, then hung, shot and finally burned at the stake, but I don't have a strong opinion either way.

hahaha...Love it. Nearly every coach in this area want you to finish with your elbow pointing to the catcher. It's gotten to be a real pet peeve of mine. I shouldn't let it bother me though.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Oh how do I empathize with you...

BTW, I absolutely love your screen name. As soon as I saw it I thought, "we must be related" LOL I can't tell you how many times I have said, "Me and my big mouth...will I ever learn".

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
Oh how do I empathize with you...

BTW, I absolutely love your screen name. As soon as I saw it I thought, "we must be related" LOL I can't tell you how many times I have said, "Me and my big mouth...will I ever learn".

LOL, it's my burden to bear . . . :) I'm pretty extroverted, other family members are introverted - so, I talk to myself a lot. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00