Front side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
The best hitters extend the front leg and hip. If they were to hit off the back side, you'd see the back leg do something more than get dragged forward after the hip extension runs out. The back leg creates forward momentum and sets up the torque angle and the load into the front leg.
That's interesting

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Clemenslee1

I have giving this some thought as well. I plan on testing.

I think you land on a flexed leg and then the quad rapidly contracts. There is some relaxed to contraction.

The problem with thinking about the front leg is the same as pulling to the ball with the upper body. If you think about it, chances are the weight will get onto the front leg. Instead of hitting against the front leg.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I would like to know your guys opinions on the role of the front leg. I always see talk about the backside etc. but not much about the front. I realize there is 1 or 2 legged approaches, but was curious on the role in either approach.
Look at the front leg sequential movements as a timing mechanism; a tool to aid maintaining posture and a resistance lever.

Here is Piazza's full swing.

Oct 2, 2017
Clemenslee1

I have giving this some thought as well. I plan on testing.

I think you land on a flexed leg and then the quad rapidly contracts. There is some relaxed to contraction.

The problem with thinking about the front leg is the same as pulling to the ball with the upper body. If you think about it, chances are the weight will get onto the front leg. Instead of hitting against the front leg.
Look forward to seeing your results.

I'm sort of the view right now, That when people talk about 1 legged and the swing puts front foot down. That's when the leg straightens out.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Look at the front leg sequential movements as a timing mechanism; a tool to aid maintaining posture and a resistance lever.

Thanks BigSky. When you say as a timing mechanism, is that as in straightening out when you want to accelerate the barrel and launch?

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
Thanks BigSky. When you say as a timing mechanism, is that as in straightening out when you want to accelerate the barrel and launch?
See whatever stride used prior to launch position as part of the timing mechanism.

Edit: See launch position needed to be attained just prior to heel plant.

For me Sierra Romero is very near her launch position in the picture.

Sierra Romero.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020

Seems like he lands with very little knee flexion in the front leg.

Actually seems like a lot of them do. Barring the offspeed gem, Bonds did too imo.

I think its important to note that your hip can be flexed while your leg is straight. This would really stretch/load the hammies.

Also the hamstrings can/will actually straighten the leg when the foot is on the ground.

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
IMHO. Think Piazza was saying good night to a waist-high mistake. Bond's front knee appears to flex a bit as he 'sits-down' into the back leg for pitch speed and/or location and then straightens out during the swing.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Does the front leg / hip become the axis of rotation. Meaning the the core is by the obliques is contracting and the straightening of the front is aiding in turning the rear hip?
View attachment 18741
Yes and yes, in some swings for sure. Throw this out there for comment. Stand up and try it. When you get into an athletic stance. Front shoulder slightly downhill and you coil/load around your spine and rear femur act as the axis. As you move out/stride and prepare to launch your spine becomes more aligned to your front femur and becomes the axis of your swing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad