Front Elbow

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't know if that's literally true. It kind of depends on how you define "up". However, I have seen that work as a cue (which is why i think FFS's criticisms of you are picking nits if not just plain off base).

Another related concept is what I call the Vertical V (which is the same as the connection point and some people's Power V).

I don't use Power V to describe this because, around here at least, when people say Power V they are talking about extension at the POC (ala Lau Sr.).

CO ... for the record, my intention is not to be critical of Hitter, but to be critical of the notion of a goal of having a perfectly vertical top-forearm and the associated displacement of the rear elbow that accompanies that. I simply can't find supporting game clips of this in either baseball or FP.

I don't see this position in swing clips ...

105zhjm.jpg

The term "Power-V", at the 'RVP connection point', was coined by Jack Mankin. It works for my students.

What you describe here is basically having an upright 'Vee' shape, with a pinched rear forearm-to-bicep. I believe we agree on this. I personally feel that the goal of a 'vertical' forearm isn't only something that can not be verified through analysis of the best hitters, but that it also encourages the rear elbow to be too far displaced from the body.

I personally believe Hitter has shared some excellent work here. I have no issue with Hitter. I do question the concept of a pure vertical forearm.

Hitter

Banned
Dec 6, 2009
No, I'm in St. Louis.

I'd love to meet up at some point.

We will be at Evangel University in November I think as they are working out the details with Coach Breaux.

You will be my guest.

I enjoy meeting members and learning more about hitting and how to teach it!

Thanks Howard

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez