Forum for advice for MS and early HS players wanting to play college ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
FWIW- I know a kid who went to a competitive DIII program to study Athletic Training. her Freshman year it was ckear she wouldn't be able to play her senior year due to the courses required during the spring of her senior year. since that time, she learned to work with the system and reschedule stuff so that she will be able to play this spring in her senior year and graduate on time!
I've noticed the deeper she gets into the program, the less time she spends posting on Facebook !:p

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sure, you can still find the college softball experience you've posted about here (Mikey Dean at AU) and you may not get the major you want if it seriously conflicts with softball

I'm glad you agree with me.

Feb 15, 2016
In your first reply to the OP you said you didn't think he got it but it seems clear at this point that your the one who doesn't get it.

Whether you realize this or not or are willing to publicly admit it your perspective on this subject has been exposed as narrow, limited and dated. Sure, you can still find the college softball experience you've posted about here (Mikey Dean at AU) and you may not get the major you want if it seriously conflicts with softball but poster after poster with recent experience has pointed out that student academic performance is what differentiates top players from each other many schools invest heavily in both the athletic and academic success of their softball recruits.

Early on this thread had the makings of a standard DFP formula thread. To wit:

OP- besides softball skills what academic or other skills will help kids with college? (good under discussed topic btw)

YOU- You don't get it, your kid's gotta be the best baller! Coach has to win to pay mortgage! (really? They don't sleep on the office couch?)

In a typical thread this this is nothing short of an invitation for multiple posters who really want everyone to know their dd is playing big-time D1 ball to chime in agreeing with you and posting about their dd's softball awesomeness. To cut the poster(s) on this thread some slack, at least he/they just mentioned their kids are playing D1 or whatever and didn't ramble on about what five tool stud(s) she/they are. This gets real tedious very fast because it's the kind of thing that get talked about, oh lets see... on every other thread on this site.

Fortunately this thread broke that mold and posters have share some insight that doesn't seem to get talked about as routinely as general softball topics. It's nothing personal Sluggers, if I met you in a bar I'd be happy to have a cold one with you but if you talked in real life about the same stuff you always seem to post about here and direct conversations toward I'd finish my beer and say, "hey look at the time I better run."

Lighten up Francis! :cool:

May 27, 2013
Still deserves respect and admiration to complete, but if you want nursing as your major, you could do your research and look at attend one of several schools that have athletics/academics already set up to work with a nursing major... like Caldwell as mentioned before.

I'd be curious to see how they make it work, especially with clinicals being 8 hour days at least 2-3 days+ per week starting in your second year.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In your first reply to the OP you said you didn't think he got it but it seems clear at this point that your the one who doesn't get it.

Whether you realize this or not or are willing to publicly admit it your perspective on this subject has been exposed as narrow, limited and dated. Sure, you can still find the college softball experience you've posted about here (Mikey Dean at AU) and you may not get the major you want if it seriously conflicts with softball but poster after poster with recent experience has pointed out that student academic performance is what differentiates top players from each other many schools invest heavily in both the athletic and academic success of their softball recruits.

OP- besides softball skills what academic or other skills will help kids with college? (good under discussed topic btw)

YOU- You don't get it, your kid's gotta be the best baller! Coach has to win to pay mortgage! (really? They don't sleep on the office couch?)

In a typical thread this this is nothing short of an invitation for multiple posters who really want everyone to know their dd is playing big-time D1 ball to chime in agreeing with you and posting about their dd's softball awesomeness. To cut the poster(s) on this thread some slack, at least he/they just mentioned their kids are playing D1 or whatever and didn't ramble on about what five tool stud(s) she/they are. This gets real tedious very fast because it's the kind of thing that get talked about, oh lets see... on every other thread on this site.

Fortunately this thread broke that mold and posters have share some insight that doesn't seem to get talked about as routinely as general softball topics. It's nothing personal Sluggers, if I met you in a bar I'd be happy to have a cold one with you but if you talked in real life about the same stuff you always seem to post about here and direct conversations toward I'd finish my beer and say, "hey look at the time I better run."

I belong to a couple of forums that are centered around a specific make and model of car. The people on those sites love their car, and take pride in their ownership, and enjoy showing it off to others who can appreciate it. There is also frequent discussion about how to deal with problems. Generally, it's a great place to share knowledge and enthusiasm among like-minded folks. Every once in a while, some knucklehead pops up and bashes the vehicle, or insults the choice over his personal favorite - often with long-winded rants attempting to justify his futile arguments. You remind me of one of those guys.

You seem to have a very sour opinion of DFP. Maybe there's somewhere else that might be more to your liking.

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You seem to have a very sour opinion of DFP. Maybe there's somewhere else that might be more to your liking.

Reminds me of the Beavis and Butthead episode where the boys cut school, but then returned to the school to show everyone how cool they were by not being in school.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'd be curious to see how they make it work, especially with clinicals being 8 hour days at least 2-3 days+ per week starting in your second year.
For example, the several D2's that DD was offered to while she held her guns at nursing at that time, the coaches didn't hold practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays when clinicals were held for Sophomore, Junior and senior players on those days depending upon the class level. The same was true for D3's. By the same token, The D2 coaches that believed that the student-athletes were there to get an education first, were willing to forgive them the missed practices as long as they re-scheduled with their respective Assistant Coaches, whether hitting, pitching, catching, etc. etc. to replace those that they missed and the AC's were fine with this arrangement.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now

Sluggers, if you don't mind, I'll take this one. Dusty, maybe having an anonymous public forum has given you courage. IDK. But most, if not all of us on here are posting from our own personal experiences. My and sluggers' experiences from D1 are far different from riseball's. Both veiwpoints are relevant no matter what you care to say. We, as a group, are trying to help those that haven't been there and done that, maybe get to where they want to be and/or play. What do you have? I have yet to see where you have posted from your past experiences?!

I personally have seen where numerous scholarship offers from major D1's, UNC included were withdrawn from my DD when she told the HC she wanted to go into nursing and wouldn't back down. I have seen where my DD was crushed by having so many D1 offers, from the majors to the mid-majors, down to mid-level D2's withdrawn. You see, my DD was date raped at the age of 14 and she wanted nothing but to help others at that particular time in her life. I don't want to make this about her so please, everyone, don't comment on this very private aspect of her life to sidetrack this thread. Just know, at this time in her life, she was very determined to turn her focus outwards and help others instead of letting this tragic incident crush her. Thus the Nursing major at that time.

Her travails though her HS Sophomore, Junior and Senior years of SB, and the bullying involved, are documented on here quite thoroughly. Her struggles are well documented on here also throughout those years both emotionally and academically.

Then she found the career of Music Therapy as an alternate career in her last few weeks of her Senior year. Music got her through many of her hard times and bouts of depression although she still has massive anxiety attacks occasionally. Thus the last minute change of college choice and, as again, has been well documented on here.

Her recent bullying by her current college teammembers is also documented since she was a Freshman walk-on but managed to earn her starting spot behind the plate before two sub-par Juniors which refuse to work harder so instead try to bully her off the team.

Her successes, her failures...many of those that know my DD both personally and vicariously know these things.

That said, my question to you is what are your credentials? What have you and maybe? your DD sacrificed in order to be qualified to post the kind of crap you're challenging everyone else with? I've personally, had enough of your pedantic and ignorant posts. Put up or shut up, please, now and thank you!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
There seems to be a myth that an offer of an athletic scholarship guarantees the pursuit of the major of your choice. That is not how it works. The provision of an athletic scholarship is contingent on you, not the school making it work with your intended major. The requirements of each major are beyond the control of the coach and the athletic department. The lack of cooperation from the school of engineering or nursing does not mean that the coach and athletic department are not invested in your academic success. Far from it. At SC they went to great lengths to build alliances with the academic side of the house. They would even help you schedule your classes to avoid instructors who were openly hostile toward athletes. It is no secret that there are plenty of academic elitists with a demonstrated disdain for athletes. If it is not possible for you to pursue a certain major then it is very simple: find another school, negotiate a 5th year, pick another major, or do not play the sport. I have had a few players graduate with nursing degrees. Yes, it was not easy but it is possible. You just need to do your homework.

Excellent post once again! And thank you. This is invaluable information for those that want to go that route. Unfortunately, as I've said in the past, and as my own family's experiences have made it clear to us in the very near past, this is more the exception than the rule IMO.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Excellent post once again! And thank you. This is invaluable information for those that want to go that route. Unfortunately, as I've said in the past, and as my own family's experiences have made it clear to us in the very near past, this is more the exception than the rule IMO.

I have told those headed to nursing or something similar to NOT rely on the word of the coach or AD. Go talk to someone in the school of nursing and lay out a plan. If they are not on board from day one it will not be a great experience. In most cases regardless of your major you should be meeting with someone in that school before you commit to play ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi