Forum for advice for MS and early HS players wanting to play college ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...A mid-major D1 school near me (that regularly plays in the NCAA regionals) prides itself on the academic performance of its team and will not admit a student who does not fall within the very competitive standards of admission...

This is the norm, certainly nothing unusual.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I understand that, but there is an upside to it. Having time alone with each of them, where I can really talk with each, without the other butting in or interfering, I figure is something that won't last very long.

At what age do teenage girls start drifting away from their parents?

My experience with teenagers is they begin to drift away @ 16 (car/independence/dating), and come back around after college.

jjr

Jun 13, 2017
Maybe tell them neither will get better if the other doesn't practice with each other. I'd probably make it an ultimatum that there'd be no field time at all until the other learns to jump out of the way (or stop hitting their sister) of an inside pitch. Inside pitches need love (from hitters and pitchers) too.

If your one DD has college aspirations, she's really going to have to learn to work with her sister because I guarantee you there will be someone on her team she's not going to like for whatever reason. It's not always peaches and cream because it's not like travel ball where you can easily see who is on your team and if that personality fits you as a family.

May 15, 2016
If your one DD has college aspirations, she's really going to have to learn to work with her sister because I guarantee you there will be someone on her team she's not going to like for whatever reason. It's not always peaches and cream because it's not like travel ball where you can easily see who is on your team and if that personality fits you as a family.

They are on the same TB team, and work well together when they are with the team.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Whether a coach wants you on the team depends upon (a) how well your DD plays softball and (b) whether your DD meets the minimum academic requirements for the school.

Will the minimum academic requirements get the player a degree? Schools and athletic departments are VERY interested in making sure they meet or exceed the NCAA requirements for graduation rates, especially in non-revenue generating sports! A coach that recruits too many players that do not graduate will not be around long.

May 15, 2016
Study skills are one of the biggest issues in college nowadays.

I definitely know what you are talking about, I used to teach at a community college. I was constantly amazed and disappointed seeing how ill prepared many high school graduates were. I am sure we could exchange some interesting stories.

May 15, 2016
My experience with teenagers is they begin to drift away @ 16.

I figured something like that. I know the few years left I have before my twins hit 16 are going to fly by. I want to enjoy it while I can.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Schools and athletic departments are VERY interested in making sure they meet or exceed the NCAA requirements for graduation rates, especially in non-revenue generating sports!

I'm pretty cynical about this...two kids playing sports in college will do that to you. But, let me be clear: A kid's education is much more important than how far they can hit a yellow ball or how many times they can throw a brown ball through an orange hoop. There is *NO MONEY* in women's sports other than for a handful of super athletes. A lot of parents want their kids to play D1 simply to brag about it. They give zero thought to their kids when softball is over.

IMHO, a kid should find a school based upon what she wants to do after college, not based upon which school wants her to play softball. Kids should flip the system upside down and decide what is best for them.

As to...graduation rates? How hard do you think it is to get a degree in exercise science or pre-law?

Osorio of Alabama is a great player, one of the best players in the NCAA and a senior. her major? Undecided. Hmmm...3.5 years isn't enough? Apparently she can't pick between exercise science and criminal justice.

Coaches get their graduation rates by finding understanding professors and departments.

Harvard (yes, Harvard) is an ROFL school for me. Literally, half the team is majoring in psychology. Either (a) Harvard softball players are great fans of Robin Williams in "Good Will Hunting", or (b) it is the easiest path to a degree.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I chuckled at your 6:30AM comment. I showed DD1 a video from a nearby D1 team at their 6:30AM strength training, and her eyes lit up. Seems that really appeals to her. She is also very determined, believes hitting is key, and hits off a T regularly, outdoors, even when it is 40° here.
DD plays D2. She had offers from D1 schools, even majors, before she chose the school she wanted. She gets up at 5 a.m. to weightlift...even off season. The coaches require them to video themselves doing it in order to verify that they are doing their off-season work-outs. Whether this is a loophole or not since they aren't present is a question to ask but I'd assume that it isn't. That said, the SB program is highly successful and typically beats many of the D1's they play out of conference during Fall Ball and at scrimmages during Spring Ball. I also know many JUCO's that can beat many D1 teams as well as D3 and NAIA teams. In the grand scheme of things, D1 means very little other than the time you spend practicing versus studying. I know one girl who was a pitcher from Tennessee for 4 years. She got a full ride. She's now back at the local University to finish up her degree because sports took that much time away from her studies.

My question to you and your DD is what do you guys want out of college? Playing SB in my book is a bonus....not a necessity. Graduating in 4 years with a degree that will provide a career and a good paying job at the end of it all is the goal. Playing SB at a high level does not necessitate a D1 level of playing SB. From past experience, the monicker of D1 means little other than the chance for parents to brag, "My DD plays D1!" As for playing "lesser," divisions, just know that they are NOT inferior in skills if you choose the right college!

That said, hitting is most everything to college coaches unless it's a position skill such as Pitchers and Catchers. DD is a catcher. I can't tell you how many times college coaches have stopped by after seeing DD drop and block numerous balls, receive properly to get more strikes and most importantly, hit it over the fence. They were always disappointed when they found out she was committed already.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00