For those following DD's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I had a considerable internal battle on whether to post this or not but here goes. DD was selected as a "cage animal" for hitting in the Queen of Diamonds North College Showcase this last weekend. What this means for those of you not following this particular one is that out of 2400+ applicants from across 20 states and Canada, 364 athletes were selected to participate in the showcase. Out of those 364 participants, the top 12 pitches, top 12 catchers and the top 16 hitters were selected as "Cage Animals." The CA's played "games" in the pitching/hitting tunnels coached by current college coaches. One teams' hitters hit against the other teams pitchers and catchers and vice versa. It was purely hitting vs. pitching and catching with top college umpires from all over the country calling balls and strikes as well as what they believed a hit would turn out to be on the field, I won't go into a bunch of stats since there was no real playing involved other than to say DD went 24 for 28 with 8 called HRs in 5 games. DD not only got the opportunity to hit as often as possible, she caught a couple of games as well. She was dropping and blocking balls outside the batters boxes after the bounce as well as receiving exceptionally and getting a few more called strikes than most others. I was extremely proud of her.

Since then, she is being actively recruited by several colleges with 2 even going so far as to offer overnight stays with their team when we go down for their camps/live game days. She is over the moon with excitement. Needless to say, after DD chasing colleges for so long to possibly play ball for them, it is refreshing to have the opposite happen for her.

A couple of other things that happened afterwards. She was selected as an MVP for one of her games and then they selected the top 5 "cage Animals" which, as you might have surmised by now, she was one of them...the only hitter selected for that honor. Another great thing that happened, she was offered and she accepted a spot on the Team USA World Cup team which will travel to the Netherlands in 2018 to play against the Czek Republic team, the Danish team, Team Russia, Team Germany and, I believe, the French team. I could be wrong on those but I'm pretty sure that's what we were told. Also, a caveat. This 2018 team is mostly comprised of younger girls hunting for colleges although only the best of the best at the showcase are invited and I don't believe they will be playing against the current countries Olympic teams but past players for those teams. However, it will still be a wonderful experience for her and of course, the traveling, sight seeing etc. in Rotterdam and Paris will be an added bonus. One other thing, she will be in the QOD South showcase as well. I'm hoping she turns more heads down there also.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
You've turned the Tasmanian Devil loose upon the softball world. Let them all be warned. Great job by your DD!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish