For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Rising after release, yes. Rising continuously to the hitter/catcher, no. Not even a riseball.
I already understand pitching!

Question to this post is the different downward trajectory of pitches and hitting.
Nice to see you acknowledge
the difference!!

Screenshot_2020-05-20-18-31-23-1.pngScreenshot_2020-05-20-18-31-10.png

radness

Dec 13, 2019
In general a BB hitter will have a slightly more upward path at contact then a softball hitter

..but hitters make adjustments like that all the time so it doesn't mean a softball swing is different than a baseball swing.

Just give your opinion already instead of asking a bunch of questions which you don't want anybody to answer..I hate these kind of leading discussions, my wife does it all the time and it drives me nuts..get to your point..
Thanks for your answer!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I already understand pitching!

Question to this post is the different downward trajectory of pitches and hitting.
Nice tobsee you acknowledge
the difference!!

This feels like it's starting to go in circles.

Lots of people have acknowledged that there is a difference in the general trajectory of baseball vs. softball pitching, and the swing needs to be adapted to that difference. It's a fairly minor adjustment, and is generally inconsequential in the discussion of swing mechanics topics.

There is a long history of people believing in - and coaching - a different swing for softball than baseball, and there continues to be some coaches that hold on to that belief. However, that belief is changing, and we seeing more and more swings in the game of softball looking like a "baseball" swing, and being really productive.

May 12, 2016
Rising after release, yes. Rising continuously to the hitter/catcher, no. Not even a riseball.
Then you haven't seen a good rise ball. Rises after release and continues on that tangent into the catchers glove. It doesn't flatten or drop. I am not saying that it jumps exponentially somewhere a long the path..

May 12, 2016
I wasn't expecting praise...just for you not to say something as silly as "defying gravity".
cmon pattar.. do we really need to bring our expertise into each of these conversations and start nitpicking every term... I think I went on to explain myself for you get what I was talking about. When people say Jordan defied gravity .. do you give them a lecture?

Jun 8, 2016
cmon pattar.. do we really need to bring our expertise into each of these conversations and start nitpicking every term... I think I went on to explain myself for you get what I was talking about. When people say Jordan defied gravity .. do you give them a lecture?
I wasn't a Jordan fan so when they started talking about him I would walk away ;)
Anyway you are right, I will knock it off with the physics corrections, my bad. From now on
I will only complain about Marcela on here so hopefully you won't hear from me much ;)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Like you are walking away from my question right now... did I make my point or not? Do we have to be technically sound on every term used in our discussion if what's being implied is obvious?
I edited my post.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I can throw overhand rise ball with a beach ball. So in theory it is possible to have the ball actually rise. The speed and the rpms would need to be pretty high. Is it humanly possible? I don't know. You can get a pitching machine to throw a rise ball when using lite flite balls.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This feels like it's starting to go in circles.

Lots of people have acknowledged that there is a difference in the general trajectory of baseball vs. softball pitching, and the swing needs to be adapted to that difference. It's a fairly minor adjustment, and is generally inconsequential in the discussion of swing mechanics topics.

There is a long history of people believing in - and coaching - a different swing for softball than baseball, and there continues to be some coaches that hold on to that belief. However, that belief is changing, and we seeing more and more swings in the game of softball looking like a "baseball" swing, and being really productive.
People have brought a variety of things to topic. Its good!
Hey not surprised to see rise ball become a topic in it !
Never my intention nor my interest to talk about the rise in discussing, because it's really not about that pitch . It was nice to read the different detail brought to it though. Good for people to read info!
Did it go full circle,... Full and more!

Interesting people want to differentiate things by saying it's the same swing but , make an adjustment. Heck, that in itself can be a debate because making an adjustment is an adjustment then it wouldn't be the same swing.
(Just saying as an interesting perspective someone could have.)

Really entire point of the post was to discuss that there is a different pitch angle and that perhaps some people may want to make an adjustment in their swing. That's it. Can either do that or you don't have to do that.
Will say this, I do see some batters struggling in fastpitch because of their type of Swing mechanics.

*And struggling can really be helped with understanding!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi