For those analyzing BB swings for a reference to hit in FP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
However, I do acknowledge that the adjustments available to the hitter are constrained by the mechanics the hitter has been taught.

I hope that came out right. I will also say that my DD has been seeing a hitting coach for 4 years now and have learned most of what I know from him. He only teaches softball hitter and has a very good record with the swing he teaches.
Good read! Think this accurate and applys to certain mechanics more so than others.

Screenshot_2020-05-22-09-45-51-1.png

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
What is that illustrating?
My chart illustrates that fastpitch downward pitch angle of 8 degrees, is essentially the same as baseball, which is abt 9 degrees. So, much of what is said here and elsewhere about flat or rising fastpitch balls is nonsense.

Fastpitch balls in the strike zone are coming down at an 8 deg DOWNWARD trajectory when the batter hits it.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
My chart illustrates that fastpitch downward pitch angle of 8 degrees, is essentially the same as baseball, which is abt 9 degrees. So, much of what is said here and elsewhere about flat or rising fastpitch balls is nonsense.

Fastpitch balls in the strike zone are coming down at an 8 deg DOWNWARD trajectory when the batter hits it.
Sorry but that chart does nothing for me. Have no idea of velocity; pitching distance or how to throw a fast knuckle ball, Pretty sure the chart is not for Rachel Garcia.

- VSA Rachel Garcia Riseball Analysis

fastpitch-pitch-angles2.jpg

radness

Dec 13, 2019

Here are Compairison #'s
Screenshot_2020-05-23-07-00-29.png

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Best suggestion for those that cant or dont recognize the difference.

Stand in the box with pitches comming from bb & FP.
ABSOLUTELY several degree's variance on the pitch trajectory/angle will be noticeable!!!!
Many perhaps have not had this opportunity.

It should also be noted how many posters here commented on making an adjustment from bb to FP.

I did NOT make an adjustment with my level rotational explosive swing i use in FP to then hit baseballs to the wall on ucla bb field Jackie Robinson Stadium.
Hitting against men and woman bb pitching.

The bb pitcher standing on an elevated mound is the first clue. ;)

There is a difference. Because of that, certain hitting styles/mechanics may want to make an adjustment.
Which is the point of this hitting topic!
Simply something to consider!!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
The baseball with the exception of the ephus pitch is always going down right out of the hand. In Softball not so. Tell Ted Williams that he is mistaken when he took 46 pitches off of Joan Joyce and had 2 pop-ups in the infield essentially between the catcher and pitcher, and 2 foul balls. He told the media in his retirement press conference that Joan Joyce was the best pitcher he ever faced. Tell Barry Bonds he was doing all wrong against Jenny Finch. You can add Michelle Smith and Lisa Fernandez to the group that had never given up one pitch to solid contact. That isn't even a great men's pitcher! Bye the way that is Dallas Escabido of Arizona State and team Mexico.

Attachments

• Escobedo.gif
    Escobedo.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Escobedo 1a.gif
    Escobedo 1a.gif
    4.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
The same hitting adjustment argument could be made regarding hitting a baseball fastball vs curveball. The fastball doesn't break downward nearly as much as the curveball. And the curveball must be thrown at a more positive release angle than the fastball release angle.
So are the swings different? Yes, because the path of the ball is different so to stay on the path, adjustments must be made.
But the same can be said about any pitch, baseball or softball, FP or SP.....
you can't use a down and away swing path and expect to hit a high-n-tight pitch. Experience is a plus. The only reason the MLB guys can't hit Jennie Finch is lack of experience predicting where her pitch will end up.
Otherwise, the swings are the same.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020
Elite baseball hitters are used as a reference for swing mechanics because they are the best at hitting a ball with a bat. There are some softball players with elite mechanics, too, but baseball has more of them. A lot more of them. A softball player may have an entire playing career of 15-20 years, starting from childhood. VERY few play longer than that. Many top pros spend that many years just as professional players, getting paid to constantly work on their game. Generally speaking, college softball players match up with the level of college baseball players. When we are looking to help our players become their best, we should look to the best as our examples.
There is an abundance of elite softball players providing proven swing mechanics.
Applied knowledge to the sport at hand is a teachable aspect to learning.

When you can show me a baseball coach teach a fastpitch player how to hit a riseball, or show me a baseball player that can hit a better fastpitch pitcher, then they can start teaching me. From the shoulders down, or should I say the head down minus the arms, it is all good.
Wont disagree that a person crossing from baseball to softball cant teach both.
Emphatically will state not all coaches instructors or otherwise have the understanding to develop youth.

Mar 10, 2020
The same hitting adjustment argument could be made regarding hitting a baseball fastball bs curveball. The fastball doesn't break downward nearly as much as the curveball. And the curveball must be thrown at a more positive release angle than the fastball release angle.
So are the swings different? Yes, because the path of the ball is different so to stay on the path, adjustments must be made.
But the same can be said about any pitch, baseball or softball, FP or SP.....
you can't use a down and away swing path and expect to hit a high-n-tight pitch. Experience is a plus. The only reason the MLB guys can't hit Jennie Finch is lack of experience predicting where her pitch will end up.
Otherwise, the swings are the same.
Tell us your experience hitting fastpitch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi