followthru

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
i'm looking for some ideas to help my 11yo dd on her followthru. she wants to finish above her shoulder and lets the bat hit her on the back. I teach finishing around the shoulder, but i'm struggling to get her there. oddly, her hand path is pretty much right on to finish correctly, but then at the last second she pulls up and the bat goes above the shoulder (not a typical uppercut swing as i might of expected). any ideas? thx.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I would see how she hits with it first, I usually run into the opposite problem, they finish low because they are chopping down or flattening out the plane around contact.

Feb 19, 2011
Arizona
Video

What you need to do is video her swing and slow mo it and figure out if she is slowing her bat speed down to raise her hands up above the shoulder. I call it a fake a finish were they will actually slow down their bat speed to finish in a certain position. The problem with that is many times they are slowing their swing down in the hitting zone, think of it as when you hit the brakes in your car it does not stop when you hit the brakes it takes time. A swing is no different but if she is stopping in an unnatural position she will be slowing down much earlier. Many hitters will stop up high and bat speed is not effected, David Juctice in baseball is a great example.

Sep 29, 2010
I looked at catcher views of Bustos and Mendoza in RVP and both finished a hair slightly below the shoulder in the model swings provided by RVP. Neither one finished over the shoulder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12