"Flying Elbow" after release?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
DFW
This was my thought as well that the elbow might naturally point towards the third base side immediately after release when using some form of IR mechanics, so I don't necessarily want her to fight this follow through (i.e. it might be less stressful on the elbow and shoulder) than forcing it up to an "L", muscle position.

tojo - I am not comfortable posting video of my young DD on the internet, but if I can get some video with her face redacted or wearing a mask I might post some for review. Thanks.

Socal,

What I think some are making reference to with the elbow flying is what I would term to be a "Chicken Wing". This is usually seen in beginning pitchers who are leaning forward and trying to guide the ball to the plate. The off balance position often pulls the arm away from the body and the elbow will go flying out prior to release. This puts a lot of strain on the elbow and shoulder complex. I have seen pitchers who never get this straightened out and will pitch that way all the way up into HS and beyond. Many of them have arm and shoulder issues during their careers as pitchers.

Dana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1