Five hour practice Saturday and Sunday at 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 4, 2019
That's a great way to ruin the game for many of the girls playing. Most 12 yr olds have a lot of other options out there today and no 12 yr ld that I coach (or their parents, or me) have any desire to have a 5 hour practice. We have 2-2.5 hour practices max.

5 hours of nonstop drills? This is still just a game, right?

What is their goal with all that practice? I've seen some of the biggest strides girls make in the 2 months they take off over the winter.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is this during the school year or summer? If school year, do schools out there not have very many tests on Fridays?

This was during the summer. If I recall, we started and ended about 30 minutes earlier on Thursdays during the school year. Being that the field was 45-60 min drive from home, my DD did a lot of homework and studying in the car. Working in the car continues to be a part of my DD's life, when necessary.

May 6, 2015
I don't even know what you can do for 5 hours straight. Too much imo.
I think after about 2 hours at that age, maybe even 90 minutes, you have lost them anyways. I guess you could condition and strength train for the rest?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think after about 2 hours at that age, maybe even 90 minutes, you have lost them anyways. I guess you could condition and strength train for the rest?

That wasn't my experience at all. My DD's TB team was doing 4 hour weekend practices starting in 10U. They didn't get bored. I guess it also depends on the group of players, and their level of play. You can't run the same few drills for multiple hours. You have to keep things moving, and changing the focus - glovework/footwork fundamentals and mechanics, defensive plays, offensive plays, base-running basics (sliding skills, making good turns, etc.), hitting. Incorporate competition between players or groups, when it makes sense.

Apr 28, 2019
How much practice is too much? Is 5 hours with no break (of course water) too much? Team also practice on 2 weekdays(2 plus hours). THese are not easy practices either. High intensity, max reps, 4 coaches, non stop.
Thoughts?
Too much of a good thing. It’s reasonable to ask 16/18U to train long & hard but at 12U IMO just too much too often. Likely to lead to burnout and injuries.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
How much practice is too much? Is 5 hours with no break (of course water) too much? Team also practice on 2 weekdays(2 plus hours). THese are not easy practices either. High intensity, max reps, 4 coaches, non stop.
Thoughts?
At a recent NFCA conference a college coach indicated that practicing beyond 3 hours players lose focus and attention.

Our team had several Saturday practices for 12u and 14U that lasted 3 hours. You could see at the end that focus was waning for some...and yet another group of girls from same team couldn't believe practice was over and wanted to keep going. (we still ended at 3 hours)

your practices on weekend seems excessive and that there would be a loss of focus and retention of what you're being taught.

Jul 27, 2015
That is just too much. At some point, say the last two hours, I bet the amount of gain you get is offset by poor habits forming from being tired.

The worst we ever had was at 12u C. We practiced 6 hours a week (3 days at 2-hour practices) then would run a full 1.5 hour practice - they called it warm-ups, before our first game on Saturday. The girls would come in before the game completely drenched and worn out. The "warm up" would entail 50 or so long toss and full-out drills. It was another practice. It was the definition of insanity.

I wrote my first, and only, nasty email to the coach after the fall season about this practice. In the spring, we had 30-45 minute light warm ups. They actually just warmed up. The girls sure looked a lot better. (I don't regret that I contacted the coach about the insanity of the situation. I sure wish I had written the email a lot more thoughtfully instead of letting my emotions get the best of me. )

Too much IMO. This team is either going to be amazing or the opposite of amazing. Will be interesting to see...

At 12A level last season, we had one practice on weekend for 6 hours (4 hour practice and last two hours scrimmage against another team). Everyone worked on their own during the week. We have a new coach for next season. Entering 14U we have one practice on weekend for 4 hours. Everyone is expected to work on their own during the week.

Typical week for my DD right now while weather is nice is Sunday team practice (4 hours), Monday 30 minute pitching lesson, Tuesday work with husband at nearby park for 1-1.5 hrs, Wednesday get together with other girls in our area to practice for 1-1.5 hours (girls are from many different teams), Thursday 30 minute hitting lesson, Friday off. Saturday practice with husband at nearby park for 1-2 hours. We have 6 fall tournaments/showcases on the schedule starting mid September through the second week in November. Mid November DD will continue pitching and hitting lessons once per week and will do hitting/pitching in the basement into net periodically throughout the week and team will take a two month break. Our new coach believes in taking breaks to avoid burn out. He has seen very good softball players suffer from burn out.

Dec 11, 2010
Perspectives and situations really vary.

A talented coach, or better yet, a talented staff of coaches keep practice stimulating. Add talented coaches to proper facilities and equipment and four hours fly by.

Geography makes a huge difference too. If you live in SoCal there are less reasons to be traveling all over to play. DD took a big step back this summer in the level team she is playing on. The reason was not practices or playing, it was the travel. When 4 hours one way to practice or a tournament starts sounding close to home you might be spending too much time in a car.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Perspectives and situations really vary.

A talented coach, or better yet, a talented staff of coaches keep practice stimulating. Add talented coaches to proper facilities and equipment and four hours fly.

Yea but back to back 5 hrs on weekend AND additional weekday practices has nothing to do with the talent of the staff... the issue isnt just the length of the practice. It the frequency... I can’t think of a single perspective or situation where this makes sense for a 12u team during school - I’ll tell you it wouldnt make sense for my kids 16u, 14u or 12u teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi