Five hour practice Saturday and Sunday at 12u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Two 5-hour practices seems pretty excessive at 12U. One 4-5 hour practice and a day full of games, however, seems totally normal.

EDIT: I expect that this time of year (just coming off the break after summer), the program is about getting the team up to speed, sorting out positions, etc. I wouldn't expect that practices on both weekend days will last very long.

Jun 8, 2016
Also a added caveat, my DD is pre puberty.Don't want be graphic but I think that makes a little difference too.
Well at least she doesn't have to worry about starting AND ending her cycle during one of the practices..

In all seriousness, 14 hours of practice a week is a bit much. Are they hitting on the field for both the practices? That can eat up some time.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Also no weekends off. Play or practice every weekend.
That is fairly normal. My DD's 12U team either has 3 2 hour practices (2 on the field and one inside) a week (2 during the weekdays one on the weekend) or if they are playing they will practice twice during the week. I also do individual work (ok with my 4 YO DS involved as well sometimes :) ) for another 4 or 5 hours during the week (she doesn't take paid lessons)

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
That is fairly normal. My DD's 12U team either has 3 2 hour practices (2 on the field and one inside) a week (2 during the weekdays one on the weekend) or if they are playing they will practice twice during the week. I also do individual work (ok with my 4 YO DS involved as well sometimes :) ) for another 4 or 5 hours during the week (she doesn't take paid lessons)

Right, but for example, when we've played in one-day/Sat. only tournaments, those are usually REALLY long days (12hrs.+), so we wouldn't practice on Sunday. And I don't think many teams are going to be hard core about practicing the weekend after Thanksgiving, for example. And eventually you'll be required to do paid lessons. It's part of our contract with our travel team that everyone take hitting lessons and pitchers/catchers take position lessons.

Mar 28, 2014
How much practice is too much? Is 5 hours with no break (of course water) too much? Team also practice on 2 weekdays(2 plus hours). THese are not easy practices either. High intensity, max reps, 4 coaches, non stop.
Thoughts?
Leave now while you still have the chance to get on another team. Obviously this coach is unaware that there is more to life than softball.

Oct 4, 2018
Oh forgot to mention, players are expected(required to) have private hitting lesson and/or catching lesson midweek by an approved instructor. (one of the coaches)

Also no weekends off. Play or practice every weekend.

Also a added caveat, my DD is pre puberty. Don't want be graphic but I think that makes a little difference too.

How much do you pay them for all this awesomeness?

Jun 24, 2019
Wow I think it’s too much, my DD team practices maybe 2 hours max 3 days a week side of that DD gets an additional hour of hitting or pitching.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00