First Tourney tomorrow - Should be fun!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
Our first tournament for 2012 is tomorrow. A lot of changes between fall and now with our team. My DD has moved from 2nd to SS, so it should be interesting to see how she does. She has put in countless hours on infield drills so we think she is ready. We are going in 2 players short because of prior commitments so we are using two subs. Because of that we are trying to emphasize FUN with our team and to see how each player has improved over the winter. It is an indoor tournament and many of our players have never played indoors before so once again we are emphasizing FUN!

Looking forward to our games tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Nov 14, 2011
An update to our tourney yesterday. We went 3-0 on the day which is a good start for the year. We booked this tourney to see how the girls were progressing and to analyze them in game play situations. We don't practice live pitching/batting during the winter so it was good to get some batting in.

WARNING - BRAG TIME!

My DD batted #2 in the lineup. In her first tourney of 2012, in her first game, at her first at bat and also the first pitch, hit a home run to left. Needless to say she was very happy and I was the proudest dad out there! She ended up batting nearly 1.000. I don't have the exact numbers but she hit one home run, 1 double and the rest singles. She hit into a ground out once, and no walks, no strike outs either. This was an indoor tournament so the field is setup weird with netting so it isn't a true indicator for singles/doubles/etc, but she is seeing and hitting the ball extremely well. She also pitched the third game and had 6 strikeouts in 5 innings with 2 walks and 1 hit batter giving up 1 run. A very good weekend for her and our entire team.

Nov 14, 2011
ms,

What did you think of that facility in Monticello?

It is okay. With the weather finally getting into the mid 60's it is hard to justify playing indoors right now. Obviously when we booked this tourney it was 10 degrees outside. The facility is very nice, but not as large as we had hoped. The Brady Street dome is much larger and a better location to play in. IMO. For the price it is good. We wanted to see live batting before our 'real' tourneys start next month.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
An update to our tourney yesterday. We went 3-0 on the day which is a good start for the year. We booked this tourney to see how the girls were progressing and to analyze them in game play situations. We don't practice live pitching/batting during the winter so it was good to get some batting in.

WARNING - BRAG TIME!

My DD batted #2 in the lineup. In her first tourney of 2012, in her first game, at her first at bat and also the first pitch, hit a home run to left. Needless to say she was very happy and I was the proudest dad out there! She ended up batting nearly 1.000. I don't have the exact numbers but she hit one home run, 1 double and the rest singles. She hit into a ground out once, and no walks, no strike outs either. This was an indoor tournament so the field is setup weird with netting so it isn't a true indicator for singles/doubles/etc, but she is seeing and hitting the ball extremely well. She also pitched the third game and had 6 strikeouts in 5 innings with 2 walks and 1 hit batter giving up 1 run. A very good weekend for her and our entire team.

Pretty good start!! How is a homerun determined indoors?

Nov 14, 2011
We were told by the umpire that if the ball is hit above the orange line on the back wall it will be considered a homerun. He said that we don't have to worry about it because he has never seen it in any of his games. It took just 2 batters! The net is 135' from the plate and the orange line was 30' up the net. My DD hit the ball and it was carrying fast and hard to the net. It would have easily been gone over a 200' fence.

We were told of the updated rules for our second game. Any ball hit off the net would be considered a "live" ball and if caught after bouncing off the net it would be considered an out. It didn't take anything away from the original call on the field of a homerun for us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi