First base lead off and feet positioning.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think part of the rocker type thing is a lot of movement, it makes it harder for the ump to see if the runner left early so they leave it go.

It is a matter of physics. The rocker method (with front foot on the face of the base) is the fastest to the next base because it has to be.

Of course, there is the variable of "timing" but all methods by the nature of the game must incorporate a timing component. So, if a girl can get the timing down for one, there is no reason she can't get the timing down for another.

Use the rocker with the front foot placed on the face of the base, preferably at the front corner farthest from home plate (or nearest the foul line for 3B). The trailing foot should be outside the base. It is the fastest way from point A to point B.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2015
SoCal
I have timed runners doing it the way they are used to and then using the rocker start and they always get to the next base more quickly using the rocker start. As far as starting with their foot on vs. alongside the base I would refer to our local sportswriter who is angered when players dive head first into first base. He says that when we start seeing Olympic sprinters diving head first across the finish line then we will know it gets you there faster. In that same regard when we start seeing Olympic sprinters starting with their foot alongside the starting blocks instead of on them we will know that gets you to where you are going more quickly.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
It is a matter of physics. The rocker method (with front foot on the face of the base) is the fastest to the next base because it has to be.

Here is what bothers me about the Rocker picture.

Front foot towards second, back foot on the face of the bag. (I'll call it the Rocker Plus!) Now I have a two foot advantage over the rocker start! (I'm at least two feet closer to the next base.) Substantially, the only difference is the push off is on dirt instead of the base. I find it difficult to imagine that the starting difference will make up the two foot advantage.

I guess I'll need empirical evidence to decide.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013

Front foot towards second, back foot on the face of the bag. (I'll call it the Rocker Plus!) Now I have a two foot advantage over the rocker start! (I'm at least two feet closer to the next base.) Substantially, the only difference is the push off is on dirt instead of the base. I find it difficult to imagine that the starting difference will make up the two foot advantage.

Not really sure what you are saying here? The only real difference in using the rocker method vs. having your back foot on the front of the bag is with the rocker method you have a moving start that may gain a slight advantage if timed correctly. My concern with the rocker method is I don't know if base umpires are savvy enough to realize that different base runners are using different lead-off methods and might see a base runner moving (using rocker) as leaving the base early.

Additionally, I'm not sure why players use a third method where the front foot is only touching the side of the bag. Why not place the ball of the foot on front part of the bag to get a better "sprinters block" start? Of the three methods, this last one seems to be the least effective.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This is at best a <1% scenario. In HS and TB, even at the Platinum Elite Diamond Gold Select level the vast majority of the time the runner will be safe because the throw is way off and/or the infielder could not catch the ball and put down a tag. I heard 14U coaches arguing this last weekend. Unless you are coaching a team that has a shot at a Super you can probably count on 1 hand the number of times in a season this will actually make a difference one way or the other. IMO you are spending more than 10 minutes on this you are wasting practice time. Instead make sure you can get a bunt down.

Sep 15, 2011

I will take the running start any day over your perceived "two foot advantage". With all things being equal and having two runners whose foot leaves the base at the same, the one with their front foot on the base will start their forward momentum earlier. This running start will definitely be faster. No empirical evidence, it just makes sense.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I have got some girls that rock and some that start like sprinter style with lead foot in front of bag. We try to teach them how to run fast no matter what, starting position is not nearly as critical if you teach them how to run properly. We have had them come to use looking like Tyrannosaurus Rex or doing the DJ record spin...teach them how to properly run they will shave more time than just a particular start position will.

Dec 15, 2012
A couple of thoughts:
1). The rocker position allows you to begin your motion while your foot is in contact with the bag. You essentially get into the sprinters position with your momentum moving forward as soon as your right foot hits the ground. With all things being equal "starting" from a moving position should be faster. Key in any push off is being aggressive with the drive.
2). Lots of girls like to push using their right foot off the bag as opposed to their left foot shown in the picture. If they do this, they are closer to home plate and that much closer to being picked off. Therefore it is important to have them setup using their left foot for the rocker position with their right foot outside the bag to eliminate "tripping" over the bag. This also helps ensure that when using this technique on 3rd, that the runner is running in foul territory (if they get hit by a live ball in fair territory they are out). Don't forget to practice diving back int the bag head first reaching for the outside part of the bag.
3). Remember there is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid when running the bases.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio

1) There is no 2 foot advantage because both runners are leaving the bag at the same time: back foot on the base, front foot a step towards 2B. It's just that the rocker starter is already moving at that point while the sprinter is stationary.

2) I don't have any empirical softball evidence, but you really don't need it:

Imagine a NHRA drag race where one car is at the timing lights and the other is one car-length back with it's own set of timing lights. The lights are set so that the back lights go green first, and the front lights go green at the exact point where the car that was behind is dead even with the car in front. Who gets to the finish line first (assuming identical cars and equally solid runs down the track, lane choice offering no advantage)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi