First base lead off and feet positioning.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
1) There is no 2 foot advantage

So you are telling me the man isn't two feet closer to touching second base? (Sorry for the bad picture, but you get the idea)
maxresdefault.jpg

56ph_MPreview.jpg

As a car guy, I appreciate your drag race scenario. But why would standing closer to second base preclude a girl from getting momentum on the pitch?
I liken your scenario to both cars following one tree, with the back car not even staged when the light goes green! Who wins then all things equal?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So you are telling me the man isn't two feet closer to touching second base? (Sorry for the bad picture, but you get the idea)
maxresdefault.jpg

56ph_MPreview.jpg

As a car guy, I appreciate your drag race scenario. But why would standing closer to second base preclude a girl from getting momentum on the pitch?
I liken your scenario to both cars following one tree, with the back car not even staged when the light goes green! Who wins then all things equal?

Regardless of where you have your feet the back foot cannot leave the bag before the ball leaves the pitchers hand. Neither one is further or closer at release.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
maxresdefault.jpg

56ph_MPreview.jpg

That's exactly what I'm telling you, because at the point the ball is released both players are in the same position and the rocker starter has already taken one stride, is already accelerating, and is moving faster than the stopped track starter. Both runners leave the base at the same moment, but one already has momentum. Do you not understand how the rocker start works? It's a rolling start vs a standing start - your scenario of both cars starting at the same time is not how it works.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
because at the point the ball is released both players are in the same position and the rocker starter has taken a stride

Ahhh, I get what you are saying now. I am, admittedly, slow.

So, the guy could get momentum too, but most likely not as much as the rocker start because he doesn't get the full run up.

I was thinking the rocker left the bag as pictured when the ball was released for some reason. Duh.

Thanks for the help.

Dec 20, 2012
A couple of thoughts:
1). The rocker position allows you to begin your motion while your foot is in contact with the bag. You essentially get into the sprinters position with your momentum moving forward as soon as your right foot hits the ground. With all things being equal "starting" from a moving position should be faster. Key in any push off is being aggressive with the drive.
2). Lots of girls like to push using their right foot off the bag as opposed to their left foot shown in the picture. If they do this, they are closer to home plate and that much closer to being picked off. Therefore it is important to have them setup using their left foot for the rocker position with their right foot outside the bag to eliminate "tripping" over the bag. This also helps ensure that when using this technique on 3rd, that the runner is running in foul territory (if they get hit by a live ball in fair territory they are out). Don't forget to practice diving back int the bag head first reaching for the outside part of the bag.
3). Remember there is a difference between being aggressive and being stupid when running the bases.

Regardless of which side you start you are going to run to the back side of second base. The difference in starting from one side of the bag to the other is a whopping .31 inches. I do believe a right foot dominate person will gain more than that by starting with the right foot on the bag and using the rocking method. By using your logic every kid should be a left hand slapper because it puts them in a position to be closer to first before a pitch is even thrown.

Dec 20, 2012
Because the rocker start simulates the pitcher's motion. When the pitcher's drive foot comes of the rubber that is about the same time the runners base foot comes off the base. If the guy in the pics did that then his base foot would be off the bag at the same time the pitcher's stride foot was leaving the rubber making him leave a full step early. I hope that makes sense, it did when I was typing. lol But it really comes down to preference of the kid. I don't believe one is actually right or wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My DD uses the rocker start. I think her cue is when the ball is at 12:00 she takes off.

That's pretty much what I teach: start forward around 12:00 and foot hitting the ground at release. They take 3 hard steps and look. We've created some havoc even against experienced teams. Fun!

Aug 14, 2012
I read an article where the US team timed leadoffs and over 1/2 of the team was slower using the rocker stance. The article said only the speedsters got better leads. Also read about a talk where Alabama Coach Murphy talked about preferring track star stance. Track star is much simpler and you start closer to the next base. That being said...I want my players to be comfortable and let them choose which one they want to do.

Sent from my LGUK410 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma