Finding the right team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2010
The second season of travel ball has just ended for my daughter.

She started out on a "B" level 10U team for her 1st year. We, as parents, were not happy with the coaching of the girls as a whole (all repetition, no technique) and decided to move on.

She just finished her second season playing "A" ball. I give credit to the manager for taking a chance on a girl who was rough around the edges, but showed potential. My daughter has improved immensely over the past season. She has received a lot of compliments on her hitting from other parents and other coaches in the organization. A majority of the team is moving to 14U and there is most likely no 12U team this upcoming season. She did not get a lot of playing time due to several reasons, 1 of which was that we had at least 4 girls that played the same position. At a recent year end tournament I was soured by a guest player getting more playing time than my daughter who had showed up to every practice and game since Fall of 2010 (not to mention all of the money we, as parents, spent).

It is now time to try out again.

Should I be looking at a second year 12U "B" team where she has the opportunity to play, but with the possibility of not winning that many games (Team was bad this past season, but all information I have gotten is that the team has a good coach and has been steadily improving).

or

Should she she be aiming for an "A" level team with better competition, better girls surrounding her, but once again the chance that she won't get a lot of playing time.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
I don't think my dd would appreciate not having much playing time. Even if they won every game. She works very hard and is a good player she deserves better. While I agree that you only get better by playing better competition, how much better will you get riding the pine? She should be having fun, ask her what she wants. We are trying out for 3 teams this year and dd will have the final say so on whom she plays with. It's as much their tryout as it is ours.
We went to one yesterday with an org, we played with last year. They are not our first choice, but dd said she really liked the coach and already knows some of the girls. It's her team not ours.

Aug 13, 2010
Good points. Sometimes it's hard to remember that this is about my dd and not about me when I am trying to look out for her best interest. She will not be happy moving on because she made some good friends, but there probably won't be a team for her this year where she is now.

Nov 29, 2009
Any advise would be appreciated.

Right now your DD is a tweener. She's not quite ready to command a starting role on an "A" level team but may be bored playing "B" ball. It's a tough situation to be in. What she needs to do is to play and get innings. Let her play at the "B" level and gain some confidence. Tell her NOT to drop her level of play to those around her. If anything tell her to be the team leader through example. She may need the year as the "Big Dog" to find her place in the softball world.

Good Luck to your DD.

Apr 1, 2010
If the 12UB team has a good coach, is steadily improving and your daughter will get the opportunity to play, I think that's definitely the best place.

It could be that the whole team continues to improve and they all jump up to A together, but if not, at least she'll have a year's worth of playing experience and good coaching that should prepare her for a 14UA team.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
Going from fall ball, one of four catchers, and riding the bench 60% of the game ( and 8th in lineup ), to spring season starting catcher who played all the time and was 4th in lineup was the best decision I think we made for DD--she agrees too. We took a step back, but she played catcher almost full time and was high in the batting linup. A huge boost to DD's confidence and she got more game experience.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321