Finding Softball Volunteer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I am looking for pitching/ catching help for our 10U Rec. Team. Well, quite honestly we will take any help we can get in any part of the game. Anyways .. I have seen it mentioned a few times that contacting the local HS might work to find a volunteer to help us.

We are what I would think is a typical 10U Rec. Team. We have some players who have never played ball before to some players that have already played for 5 years.

I do not know anyone at our HS, they do have a well established program. They occasionally have clinics which my DD has attended and had a great time.

I do not mind asking them for help, and would be satisfied with a go away answer, but I’m not sure who even to ask for assistance.

Any suggestions on how to go about trying this? If we were lucky enough to find someone would you give them a few bucks for helping?

I am also going to ask our League commissioner if he knows of, or can ask, if any of the older girls in our League would be willing to help us.

Any other suggestion would be happy accepted.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
First go to the person at the HS who runs the National Honor Society (NHS) ask him/her if a player could earn NHS community service hours by assisting. If its a yes, then go to the coach, tell him/her what you need help with. Ask him if he can recommend a girl or two to help teach your kids, tell him exactly what you are looking for and the time involved. mention the NHS and I would think you would have some volunteers. In fact the NHS chair might mention it to the NHS members and you might not have to talk to the coach at all.

Kids need a certain number of NHS hours to graduate with the NHS seal on the diploma. You would be helping the kids, while they are helping you.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Kids need community service hours for EVERYTHING--NHS, Key Club, scholarship applications, etc.

I've been involved with my league for five years... helping, keeping the book, concession stand, coaching, even head coaching teams... and I'm 18. Contact the Varsity head coach, she should be able to hook you up.

Nov 29, 2009
Any other suggestion would be happy accepted.

Ok.. Here is what you do. The time you do the pitching camps is in the fall right after the girls are done playing. They still have interest in playing and they are more willing to learn. The other reason for the timing is the chance to learn. If you try and teach a girl how to pitch mid-season and she does not have any success she will not want to keep going with it. By starting them in the fall they have time to learn how to pitch and then work on it during the winter. When spring arrives they are anxious and ready to use what they have been working on all winter.

Quincy, PM me with your email address.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I know we are behind the curve and quite honestly expect our Team to get destroyed the 1st half of the season. I am hoping my DD will be healthy and a couple of other players, and their parents, will step up so that we will be competitive the 2nd half of the season.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The people with the Chicago Bandits are very approachable and marketing savvy. They are on Facebook, Twitter and their website. I know that they had something in Kankakee, recently. It wouldn't hurt to look them up.

Sep 3, 2009
Quincy.. the Bandits and NPF in general are always looking for marketing opportunities. That and the NPF does alot clinics with young kids; you might approach them and see about giving them some banner space in trade. You'd be marketing their name to their target audience. Couldn't hurt.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish