Finally, blue makes the right call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
We had an umpire one time say to a fellow coach " Don't bring out the rule book, if you do you are immediately ejected."

He is a bit confrontational, but generally a good and consistent umpire. I'd take him over many others.

It is a good possibility that the coach was the confrontational, otherwise why would he need a book :)

It is considered a form of antagonizing an umpire by attempting to show him/her up. There are better ways of discussing a rule or call.

Dec 18, 2010
All I have to say is try it yourself before you whine about us umps. Because every bitch you have about an ump I've got 10 about a coach or 20 and some of the other Jack @$$es we have to deal with. Not only do we deal with coaches but we have fans that think they know the rules, statements like (called a couple girl's on look back) "she wasn't even looking at her blue","pitcher was looking at her blue that constitutes making a play", "pitcher wasn't even on the pitching rubber". Just try it for one year and I guarantee you your prospective will change, and yes I was one of those coaches at one time. But what kills me the most is how horrible the parents sound and what they say while yelling at their daughters. sorry for the rant

Mar 13, 2010
rachelsdad I've had people try to talk me into getting my levels for umpiring as I always get roped into umpiring when it's our turn (apparently I have a good strike zone) but I refuse. I don't hate myself enough to get into umpiring. I'll leave it to the brave men and women who can handle the constant abuse and thank them for a job well done (well except when they don't call my strikes ;0)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
All I have to say is try it yourself before you whine about us umps. Because every bitch you have about an ump I've got 10 about a coach or 20 and some of the other Jack @$$es we have to deal with. Not only do we deal with coaches but we have fans that think they know the rules, statements like (called a couple girl's on look back) "she wasn't even looking at her blue","pitcher was looking at her blue that constitutes making a play", "pitcher wasn't even on the pitching rubber". Just try it for one year and I guarantee you your prospective will change, and yes I was one of those coaches at one time. But what kills me the most is how horrible the parents sound and what they say while yelling at their daughters. sorry for the rant

Might I add, try doing it right. It is the umpire that makes the tough, but correct rulings, even at the rec level, that grab a lot of heat from the uneducated and I'm not just talking about the fans. :rolleyes:

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
This year at 12U Rec./ MS is the first time I have seen this called and it was called a handful of times over the course of the year.

Batters seemed a little confused but none of the coaches/ fans caused an Issue.

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
Might I add, try doing it right. It is the umpire that makes the tough, but correct rulings, even at the rec level, that grab a lot of heat from the uneducated and I'm not just talking about the fans. :rolleyes:

This. A thousand times this. Had a dad waiting in the parking lot for me after a game ask me my address because he wanted to come over and show me "where it was in the rule book." His league president got a nice email from me detailing the exchange and quoting the specific rule that directly addressed the situation, along with instructions to pass the email along to the team's manager and the specific parent. ASA Rule Supplement #10, learn it, dad.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
Re: Umpires. Just like coaches and players, there are good ones and bad ones. But, in my opinion, the Umpire with the level head that nicely explains a questioned call, will get my respect every time. Heck, I've had an Umpire that has flat out said; "I wasn't watching the runner so I didn't see her leave early Coach". Ok, fair enough. Please watch her next time. It's the Umpires that have dismissed my questions while I'm coaching that I can't stand. I'm sure I've questioned calls where I am just flat out wrong. The Umpire should be able to explain the call they just made though. And I'm not talking about giving me the statute number from the rules book. Just explain; "the player touched the pop up in foul territory, so it's a foul ball". I'm giving seriously thought about going into Umpiring now that my girls are getting older and I've stopped coaching (probably stopped). After being a Coach, I think it would benefit me if I make the switch to the "other side".

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Re: Umpires. Just like coaches and players, there are good ones and bad ones. But, in my opinion, the Umpire with the level head that nicely explains a questioned call, will get my respect every time. Heck, I've had an Umpire that has flat out said; "I wasn't watching the runner so I didn't see her leave early Coach". Ok, fair enough. Please watch her next time.

Maybe that was not the priority. Umpires are often asked by coaches to watch something that would have prevented him/her. from doing performing their duties properly.

It's the Umpires that have dismissed my questions while I'm coaching that I can't stand. I'm sure I've questioned calls where I am just flat out wrong. The Umpire should be able to explain the call they just made though. And I'm not talking about giving me the statute number from the rules book. Just explain; "the player touched the pop up in foul territory, so it's a foul ball".

If there was a valid reason or question, sure. But not to the point of announcing the game or giving a clinic. There have been quite a few times in my years on the field where ignoring the coach probably kept him in the game. Everything is situational

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877