Fielding glove recommendations

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD is 13, about 5'/100 lbs and needs a new glove. She's using a 12" Jennie Finch that's getting a bit too floppy.

I'm not sure if it's time to get a 'real" glove or if I should just get her another inexpensive glove that won't need to be broken in. (I'm going to tighten up the laces in the meantime.) I got her sister a nice SSK glove on eBay when she was a year younger and shes still using that glove (6) years later - but they are built differently and play different positions. She pitches and plays 3B and SS. As a pitcher, know she could use a larger glove, but for some of the laser shots she has had to handle, I don't want to slow down her glove hand at all (for safety reasons)

What do you recommend?

Apr 13, 2013
DD is a little bit smaller yours and plays the same positions.

We bought her a 12.5 Akadema for X-mas and it is working out well. It did take a while to break in but I think it is going to last forever,

12.5 plus or minus a .5 sounds about the right size, so if she is committable with the 12’ glove I would stick with that size.

Sep 3, 2009
Akadema ATS77 is hands down the best bang for your buck. You should be able to get one for $100, maybe a tiny bit less. Super quick break in, and very durable. This has been my dd's go to glove for IF for a couple of years now. Had it relaced once, but it's still got a few years in it. My only complaint is the size, it's a 12.5". Akadema now will custom make other sizes in that same model, for a nominal extra fee. Wish they would make a 11.5", or 12" standard.

As far as quality, I'd definitely say it's up there w/ the high end Nokonas, and Wilson A2000. Maybe a little less.. but for the money, I don't think there is anything on the market even close.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I used to think bigger was better and then I started looking at the gloves college infielders played with. 11.5, 11.75 seemed the norm. OF was a different story. After getting DD an 11.5 she seemed to be a bit quicker to the ball with a lighter glove and quicker to get the ball out of it. Could be she just got better but she always goes to that glove for infield work. Wilson and Worth make some decent and reasonably priced gloves that won't take 6 months to break in.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
Opinions on the A1000 or A2000 for part time OF? I would be more inclined to shell out for an Akadema if it were here primary position but that's not the case.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Opinions on the A1000 or A2000 for part time OF? I would be more inclined to shell out for an Akameda if it were here primary position but that's not the case.

For the cost of an A2000... you can buy two Akademas, and have money left over...

The standard ATS77 is 12.5" so it could work ok for both, but is definitely shaped more like an IF glove.

Sep 5, 2012
For the cost of an A2000... you can buy two Akademas, and have money left over...

The standard ATS77 is 12.5" so it could work ok for both, but is definitely shaped more like an IF glove.

While that may be true about the cost, an A2000 will outlast the two Akadema's! The Akadema's, at that price level, come pretty much game ready & will get floppy in relatively short order.

Additionally, the cheaper Akadema's are notorious for running smaller than spec.

Jun 21, 2010
Nokona Buckaoo 12.5. DD has had one for two years and loves it. She doesn't throw her glove around like other girls on her team do. She was taught one year by a HS coach to place in down nicely inside of glove facing down. A ball in the pocket when not used.