Fielding Bunts/short balls at 3B line

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
USED to teach (and do for young catchers) for a catcher to approach the ball on the 3B line, so she CIRCLES the ball that she runs slightly past, then spins COUNTERCLOCKWISE so her GLOVE shoulder is facing her target. Some catchers argue it is EASIER to run to the LEFT side of the ball so their glove shoulder is aligned.... I've caved in and told my catchers we try BOTH ways and time them to see what is faster...... then let them do what they are most comfortable.......

MY rationale for circling the ball is a 90 turn, VICE a 270 degree turn or one less step is FASTER, BUT I ALSO know you MUST have BUY-IN from your players if you want them to trust you and work the drills hard, OTHERWISE you lose their confidence..........

Is there a string arguement that backs my circle the ball method to approach this short ball at the 3B line side of the plate?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
J - I don't think so. The desired objective is a consistently strong, accurate throw. Regardless of position or situation, and assuming good basic throwing mechanics, the key to any good throw is good footwork. As soon as a catcher touches (let alone possesses) any short ball or bunt, their brain starts screaming "throw it now". With a curling approach from the left technique, which admittedly requires a greater distance of travel, the feet (and hips, shoulders) already should be perpendicular to the target and in good position to make a strong, accurate throw BEFORE the ball is picked up and the eyes are immediately locked on and never have to leave the throwing target. With the more direct approach from the right and required counterclockwise turn you're advocating, the instinct to throw kicks in before the turn is initiated and before the eyes have found the target; the throwing target has to be located as the head spins and the body has to rotate clockwise just the right amount for a successful outcome; when done imperfectly (e.g., too much/little body rotation), the throw will be offline, and more than likely, high as well (due to throwing off the back foot). A throw to 2B would be even more of a challenge due to the greater rotation.

Agreed that it comes down to the player's comfort level (which can be influenced by repetition!), but as an old washed up catcher I say get the feet right before picking up the ball, particularly in the case of younger players.

That all said, what do the results of your timing show? What about accuracy?

Tim

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Green.... ref TIME: LAST thing I told our catchers last night was to analogize their approach to the ball and release to leads off 1B. Whether the runners lead foot is on the edge of the back of the base or sitting on the ground next to it, or whether she doesn't even take a rocking start), KEY is what is she fastest at. I prefer a rocking start w/ foot pushing off the edge as I ran track and teh blocks help propell you as a runner. I told her we'll time here both ways and whatever is fastest, is what we should try and work. (VERY important to get buy-in from the girls... if they are adement about something different then you teach and you can't prove otherwsie, they 1) lose trust in what you teach, 2) will not give you a 100% effort on the mechanics they don't agree in.
** THIS is WHY its so critical I get good input from the catchers hopefully helping me.
*** I appreciate your comments and always try and stay open minded to new approaches/methods and ways to teach. I understand you saying approach to the ball to the LEFT and turning CLOCKWISE, is that right? Thank you

Jan 15, 2009
Rather than argue if it's faster to get to the ball (which they may want to dispute all day) you might want to use these two rationales as a sell of circling the ball.

#1 It's about making an accurate throw, eliminating the spinning throw that goes far into right field or OB, avoid making it an arguement about which is quicker because that is difficult to demostrate.

#2 With a RH batter your forced to go first step towards foul territory (or wait for them to clear) because a direct path to the ball isn't available right away.

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
Rather than argue if it's faster to get to the ball (which they may want to dispute all day) you might want to use these two rationales as a sell of circling the ball.

#1 It's about making an accurate throw, eliminating the spinning throw that goes far into right field or OB, avoid making it an arguement about which is quicker because that is difficult to demostrate.

#2 With a RH batter your forced to go first step towards foul territory (or wait for them to clear) because a direct path to the ball isn't available right away.

SnocatzDad,

You got to these two points before I could. Well put.

A few of my thoughts,

Attacking that ball from the right and using the "step over" move as I call it means that for some time my back will be tothe field. I do not like that especially if there are multipple runners on base. I want the field in constant view in case I need to make a change on what base I am throwing to.

Then the whole problem with the alignment kicks in and the throw can deffinately become a "spinnng throw".

I have a few catchers boys and girls that can execute the step-over extremely well. In all cases they can get the ball in the air faster doing it that way. However, in all cases they all have a slight velocity drop compared to a curved approach from the left and their accuarcy also was a bit better with the curved approach from the left. They all use the curve approach in games and are all D-1 college catchers.

Coach W

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
ok, so both of you agree to approach from left side of the ball when the short ball is to left side of the field/plate. Nuevmann and other catchers teach the opposite, thus the confusion for which approach to the ball is more advantageous. The game is always changing and how we run drills and teach mechanics for baserunning, hitting and defensively approaching the ball. I do appreciate your suggestions and am curious for other catching coaches discussions for how they teach the approach to the ball on this side of the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles