Fielders shin guard advise needed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
What is the point in responding with a remark like this? You know, I had never really thought of making her fielding better. Just figured I would put her in head to toe body armor and be done with it. Maybe it makes you feel superior to make a smart azz comment like that but you can keep it to yourself. She is a young 9 moving to the hot corner and playing against mostly girls 1.5 years older than her. She is a pretty dang good fielder and fearless, but since you are so smart and experienced, you know a third baseman takes some off the body from time to time. Just trying to minimize the damage, and it is all me, she hasn't once complained.

I suppose we should ditch the fielders mask too?

When I first read the OP I nearly responded exactly the same way as chinamigarden. Not to be a jerk, just to be honest. The absolute best way to protect a kid ANYWHERE ON THE FIELD is to teach her fielding skills. Yes, she will get hit; in the shins; in the face; in the chest; in the arms but as she improves her fielding skills those "hits" will become less frequent.

Now, to answer the OP's question: soccer shin guards are perfect. They are cheap, lightweight and will minimize bruising until she gets better at fielding.

Apr 9, 2012
The custom moldable shin guards from Evo shield. All my girls love them. The whole club loves them. Hit by ball, hit by bat, slide in and metal cleat lands on your shin......never feel a thing!! Work great in 110 degree heat etc etc.

A must have.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
What is the point in responding with a remark like this? You know, I had never really thought of making her fielding better. Just figured I would put her in head to toe body armor and be done with it. Maybe it makes you feel superior to make a smart azz comment like that but you can keep it to yourself. She is a young 9 moving to the hot corner and playing against mostly girls 1.5 years older than her. She is a pretty dang good fielder and fearless, but since you are so smart and experienced, you know a third baseman takes some off the body from time to time. Just trying to minimize the damage, and it is all me, she hasn't once complained.

I suppose we should ditch the fielders mask too?

Well you as the parent are responsible for her safety. And if you think that shin guards are the best way to go then get some shin guards, but yes I still think the best thing to do is teach her how to field better. As for feeling superior, this site doesn't do that for me. I certainly don't want to see anyone get hurt, but many times parents feel the best way for their kid to improve is via more or better equipment. I have always thought that being better and safer comes from more and better practice.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
10U is the oldest age I have seen shin protection.
Reflexes improve with age and the protection can be discarded.

BTW-I don't think Chinagarden was looking for a fight, that remark was
the first thing that crossed my mind as well:)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Why wouldn't you wear shin protection? A broken shin and you are out for the season. It can easily be avoided. The OP plays the game, himself. He knows what he is talking about. Just because baseball players are back further and don't need shin and chest protection, doesn't mean that softball players don't.

It has nothing to do with how well you field. We used to try to hit the 3rd baseman. I doubt that that has changed.

Apr 9, 2012
Amy-look close at the MLB players and college players

Evoshield has made a huge ressurection in PPE at the top level in a short time. There are guys who wear gear again because its comfortable. You wear the evoshield shin guards and no one knows your wearing them.

DD took a hard pitch to the ribs-took her off her feet. She got up, dusted herself off and ran to 1st smiling. What does that do to an opposing pitcher??

She was wearing the chest/rib evoshield guard. You cant tell she has it on.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
I cannot fathom why anyone would respond that she should not take advantage of safety equipment if the impact on her game will be nil ? I watched a pitcher get absolutely drilled in the face this past year , thankfully she had a face shield on . She jumped up a bit dazed , coach called a timeout and when it was over she went back to pitching and I don't recall anyone making the comment that she should learn how to catch better . After watching my DD lose her whole season as a catcher due to a deep bone bruise that occured during what looked to be a minor collision with another player I would have given anything to go back in time and have her put on some sort of protection so that she could have continued playing the position she worked her butt off to get .

Just because we all took our lumps and played in pain when we were kids doesn't mean it has to be that way . Protective gear has come a long way and as someone who lives with aches and pains associated with living an active lifestyle I am all for minimizing that for my kids .

Jan 25, 2011
My daughter wore the evo shield shirt and she is a pitcher and she said it didn't bother at all pitching. Nobody even knew she was wearing it. She will be getting a new shirt this winter for spring softball. She wear the elbow guard as well, has the wrist ones but she finds those ones hard to get off. Nice products, they have a medical line too.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
evo shields the best..my oldest daughter (15) finally wears a foot shield since i she missed a tourney and i had to listen to her complain about her ankle hurting..she fouled 2 balls off in the same spot and finally listened to dad..he might be right every now and then!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06