Fielders shin guard advise needed......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
My youngest (9) has moved to 3rd base on her tourney team and has taken a few nice ones off the shins. What are the best options yall have used for protection while not getting too cumbersome. Don't really need the sliding protection aspect, just shin protection from bad hops, etc. Maybe soccer guards are the simple way? Any advice is appreciated.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have read where soccer shin guides aren't designed to deflect a softball. I don't know how much protection they would give. I always wore sliders on my shins as did my DD. We didn't find them cumbersome, but you would need really tiny ones for a 9 yo. The really thin ones do not work at all.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I find the glove works best.

Ok sort of flippant but the point is, practice with your dd. Get her better at fielding and there will be less knocks off the shins

Aug 8, 2010
I find the glove works best.

Ok sort of flippant but the point is, practice with your dd. Get her better at fielding and there will be less knocks off the shins
What is the point in responding with a remark like this? You know, I had never really thought of making her fielding better. Just figured I would put her in head to toe body armor and be done with it. Maybe it makes you feel superior to make a smart azz comment like that but you can keep it to yourself. She is a young 9 moving to the hot corner and playing against mostly girls 1.5 years older than her. She is a pretty dang good fielder and fearless, but since you are so smart and experienced, you know a third baseman takes some off the body from time to time. Just trying to minimize the damage, and it is all me, she hasn't once complained.

I suppose we should ditch the fielders mask too?

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
You might try the neoprene based ones used by mountain bikers, probably the least restrictive on her movements. Sixsixone is one brand.

Then again, you might just want to scrounge up something cheap/free, since she won't need them after her reactions catch up.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Let her wear whatever pads that she is comfortable with. I had a permanent bump on one ankle from teammates that couldn't throw to 1st and I was in my stretch. I finally put a knee pad, there. (There wasn't a whole lot of selection back then, and we wore shorts.)

Dec 11, 2010
I'll add not everyone practices on a perfectly groomed field.

Pain hurts and it can cause problems. Savvy?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06