Female quarterback

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Well, that is part of the problem with people. I really dont' give a damn what someone thinks, if it is a clean play, it is a clean play. If someone doesn't like it, don't watch.

I agree 100% MTR, but. I was talking to a HS football referee several weeks ago about a play that happened maybe 15-20 years ago. State playoff game and it was raining cats and dogs, and the field was a terrible mess. The running back was running down the right side line, maybe 5 yards in bounds. The linebacker makes a great hit on the runner and they literally slide into the sideline bench. A personal foul was called on the tackle. I asked this referee about this play and he responded by saying that safety was the most important factor. I told him it was a legal hit. His response was that it didn't matter. Can you imagine the uproar if a personal foul was called because a defensive lineman crushed a female QB on an otherwise legitimate play, but he hit her too hard?

Take it like a man! Oh, wait, that is sexist. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Oh, that is too. Well, you know what I mean.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The more I think about this, the more I think that we have been sucked into a publicity stunt, both for the team and for the girl.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I agree 100% MTR, but. I was talking to a HS football referee several weeks ago about a play that happened maybe 15-20 years ago. State playoff game and it was raining cats and dogs, and the field was a terrible mess. The running back was running down the right side line, maybe 5 yards in bounds. The linebacker makes a great hit on the runner and they literally slide into the sideline bench. A personal foul was called on the tackle. I asked this referee about this play and he responded by saying that safety was the most important factor. I told him it was a legal hit. His response was that it didn't matter. Can you imagine the uproar if a personal foul was called because a defensive lineman crushed a female QB on an otherwise legitimate play, but he hit her too hard?

And while that sounds noble, out of 100 officials, how many are going to rule in the same manner every time on a hit where no ruling should be necessary? What it comes down to, is you just was well play flag or touch football.

Should, as an umpire, call a runner out if she safely slides into a base and happens to spike the defender? Why not? Legal play, but it is a safety issue. :rolleyes:

Take it like a man! Oh, wait, that is sexist. If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. Oh, that is too. Well, you know what I mean.

No, it should be take it like a football player. Unfortunately, in this country, many a sport has been altered to meet the wants of those not willing or capable of competing at the level required?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I guess none of these girls have been permanently injured.

While no official records are kept on what positions girls have played in the past on Florida high school teams – about 500 girls have suited up for boys' squads across the state over the years – DiMeglio is presumed to be the first quarterback to get on the field.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I wonder what they would be saying if there was a girls team and not a boys team and a boy wanted to play. Just saying......:)

Well, that hit a memory cell. I had forgotten about my step-son. Its been 20+ years, but my step-son was in a school which had no spring field games for boys, so he went out for the girl's field hockey team. The administrators thought he would back down once he discovered that he would have to wear the same uniform.

He had no problem putting on a pleated skirt. Same rules applied to him as any other player and the officials didn't hesitate to penalize him for play they believed too rough for the game.

Some teams just refused to play and forfeited their games instead of allowing a male play on their field. IMO, the jjoke was on them because if they had done their homework, they would have discovered he was an average player (of any gender) at best and many of the females routinely out-played him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes