Feedback to DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
1B is one the most important positions specially at 10 and 12U. Routine plays/catches are a must. Coaching error. Not sure how a coach enters a tourney with 9 players.

I know how everyone says P and C are important and realize 1B is just as important (not sure why it never clicked until know). The thing that gets me is that the plays were pretty routine and told her she never has issues catching the ball when we play catch. Also told her this is why we reiterate the important practice is and not to mess around and that you perform how you practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
This is an age of learning new experiences.
She was a guest and that was a great experience for her to step up and fill in when a team needed her.

This is part of learning a new position or being in a different position on the field. Even though players can play catch there are other nuances that happen in game situations especially live game situation. Remember first base is also find the bag and interact during a play.

Add to that
Some players see other players doing things that may look like it's easy, reality is there are actually skills that need to be developed.
* think that experience your daughter had was a good one for her.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2012
I'm so much like your DD. I am my own toughest critic. I've been rough on myself this season since I've had my own struggles on offense. My defense has been really good. But I've needed time to cool down before I start asking coaches for advice.
She’ll call me once she’s back on campus & walking to her apartment after most games.
She’s having a great season so this year it’s been more just adjusting to a new coach and the fact that half of the team is freshmen and since she’s a captain she’s had to have some hard conversations with some of them to help the new coach out.
Totally agree with you on processing what you know you need to work on before asking for help. Once you’ve processed it it’s do much easier to be open to any advice your coaches have.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I know how everyone says P and C are important and realize 1B is just as important (not sure why it never clicked until know). The thing that gets me is that the plays were pretty routine and told her she never has issues catching the ball when we play catch. Also told her this is why we reiterate the important practice is and not to mess around and that you perform how you practice.

The kind of "catch" you play with her is probably not emphasizing good technique for a 1B. It's a bit different when both the ball and runner are coming at you and you've got to maintain focus and balance while staying on the bag.

Interesting that you mention what you see at practice. You already see the problem. Take her out and really make sure she can catch any kind of thrown ball. By the time DD was a first-year 12U, she got my hardest throws.

Jul 27, 2020
The kind of "catch" you play with her is probably not emphasizing good technique for a 1B. It's a bit different when both the ball and runner are coming at you and you've got to maintain focus and balance while staying on the bag.

Interesting that you mention how she practices. You already see the problem.

Thanks, again these are things I failed to recognize about playing the position and the nuisances of 1B. When she practices, for the most part she is focused and even though she’s played TB a couple years we always remind her to practice like she would perform during the game and that you never know who’s watching. She picks up equipment, runs between the lines and when coaches gather the girls, doesn’t look at me for guidance or assurances during practice or between innings. At times though, there are lapses and isn’t as focused, which is contagious with a young team. Most are 1st year players, new to TB and two girls are 2nd year 12u who have been with the org for a couple years. I keep telling her to watch and warm up with them bc they know the drill and how things are done differently. When she’s not focused I definitely tell her afterwards.

When I catch for her. I try and get the ball back to her hard like her catcher would. Sometimes she gets mad and tell her that her catcher won’t be lobbing the ball back. I’ll be sure to ramp up when we play catch and not throw lollipops to her. Ha.

Thanks again

Dec 19, 2021
Some of this is sure to be game-situation pressure. New team, new position. New situation. I'm sure her brain was dealing with all sorts of new input and pressure. It is easy in those situations to lose focus ("is my foot on the bag? here comes the runner! is the ump gonna call her out? hope she doesnt step on my ankle! I can hear my own heartbeat!" etc) Sometimes only game reps can slow down the game for a player so they can focus on the one thing they need to do.

Jan 24, 2020
DD & I usually talk about the opportunities for growth from a bad outing, that and the impact of the softball gods/karma. The more she can appreciate that sometimes somethings don't go your way, and that those things often end up in greater growth, the more detached from the emotions from failure she can be. A missed routine play is often balanced with a great difficult play, maybe not that game, but somewhere sometime it will balance out. All my DD is trying to do is tip that balance point more in her favor each day.

At 12U, unless you have a dominant strikeout artist on the mound, 1st base is where you get your outs. Too many coaches don't realize the outsized impact proper fundamentals at that position can have on the W/L record, and stash their best hitter/worst fielder there. The fact that this coach would over it up as a 2b or 1b player's option boggles my mind. Good for your DD for wanting to try it out and being brave enough to try it for an unfamiliar team.

Jul 27, 2020
With everything said and done, DD got invited back to play for this team. Hopefully she’ll be put in a better position to succeed in the field and possibly even get a chance in the circle. Thanks everyone.

Jan 22, 2011
Good! 1B is a little tougher than people realize. My DD loves playing right field and is willing to eat a few innings as an emergency pitcher, but is too valuable as a 1B to put elsewhere in the field. She sold two outs at 1B last night on close plays because she is so fluid. One the ball bounced on the dirt about 6" in front of her glove and right into her glove.... the batter/runner reached 1B when the ball bounced, umpire was behind my DD and gave her the out.

She also executed my favorite double play: 6-3-5 with runner on 2nd.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles