Feedback to DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 27, 2020
DD is 1st year 12u and had first tournament this past weekend. Thought she was solid at the plate considering it was the first live pitching she’s seen since November. Played 1st base (basically for the first time) and to put it lightly was not great on routine plays, like not making a routine catch (a couple of times - tough to watch personally)

Typically she asks for feedback which me and wife did, but wanted to see how honest you all are when giving feedback? Are you brutally honest or try and sugar coat the negative or enhance the positives even though negatives were blaring. Tough to say her fielding was pretty bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't lie. If she was bad, she knows it.

I would day, "Tough weekend. But, the season is young. You'll get it. Your want sprinkles on your ice cream? “

Decide how to help her get better, then execute the plan.

Jun 11, 2012
My DD is her own worst critic. If she plays poorly she knows it and we don’t bring it up until she’s ready to talk about it.
Once she’s ready to talk we replay the things she needs to talk about and go from there.
She’s a senior in college and we’ve been doing it this way since 10U.

Dec 19, 2021
Great responses so far. I give them a few minutes on the ride home and see if they just start on their own, then maybe I will ask how the day was.

If they are asking, yes I try to be honest. One can tell them they need work in an area without being derogatory. She probably knows and will tell You where she needs work. Ask her what SHE thinks. Tone is important. They need to know you are on their side and will help. Then take her to the park and put in some work. She will value the time with you.

Oct 4, 2018
Honesty.

Followed up by positivity. I tell her that she has hundreds more games in her life, and she is getting better every day. Always think of the next pitch, next play.

Oct 2, 2017
DD is 1st year 12u and had first tournament this past weekend. Thought she was solid at the plate considering it was the first live pitching she’s seen since November. Played 1st base (basically for the first time) and to put it lightly was not great on routine plays, like not making a routine catch (a couple of times - tough to watch personally)

Typically she asks for feedback which me and wife did, but wanted to see how honest you all are when giving feedback? Are you brutally honest or try and sugar coat the negative or enhance the positives even though negatives were blaring. Tough to say her fielding was pretty bad.

I do not say anything about DD's performance unless she asks on the car ride home. Even when I really want to say something. LOL That said when she does ask, I always say, "Do you want me to tell you the truth?" She always answers the truth. That way if she doesn't like what she hears, I can say you asked. LOL I always give my opinion of the negative of the game, but I also highlight the good things that she did. To be honest they already know the good and the negative. LOL I always tell her though that its a game of failure and to go get it next time.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Asking her how she interprets her playing for the day is the best place to start. Find out where she's at, she may already have the smartest feedback for herself.

From there agree with others
Positive purposeful planning.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My DD is her own worst critic. If she plays poorly she knows it and we don’t bring it up until she’s ready to talk about it.
Once she’s ready to talk we replay the things she needs to talk about and go from there.
She’s a senior in college and we’ve been doing it this way since 10U.
I'm so much like your DD. I am my own toughest critic. I've been rough on myself this season since I've had my own struggles on offense. My defense has been really good. But I've needed time to cool down before I start asking coaches for advice.

Jul 27, 2020
First time playing 1B was in a live game? HC set her up for failure if that’s true.

We were asked by this team within our org to play as a guest and thought she would be an used as an additional pitcher (only brought 9 girls). Didn’t get a chance to pitch and put her in left field for three games and did well, hit cut offs, made strong throws, stayed in front of balls and got ball in quickly, backed up third base. Last game coach asked if she wanted to play 2nd or 1st and she chose first bc she did a little work over the winter indoors there but haven’t have many outdoor practices (weather in the NY stinks). I rather she play outfield and is more comfortable out there and plays the position pretty well. I don’t get involved with coaches decisions but bc she’s pretty athletic I think coach felt she would be better in infield and could put her anywhere, which also seems to be the case on her regular team. I’m sure they will rethink that with this past weekend but it was a total downer to be asked to play and then drop the ball (literally and figuratively). I know she felt bad and she knows she is capable of being better but it was a tough day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad