Feedback for my 14y/o.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 10, 2013
Very nice overall. If she came to me here's the only things we'd be working on mechanically.

1.) Woking on keeping the maximum hand/wrist rotation over the top and down the back to ball facing out to up vs. turning it down then back up.

2.) Keeping her hips and shoulders closed (sideways) to the target longer to encourage more adduction and a throw that is into and across the hip line vs. how open her throw is. Her plant foot and knee is almost facing forward. The human anatomy isn't made to create resistance to forward momentum when the knee and foot are directly facing the force vector.

BM,
hi.
just a little question on the terminology. "shoulders closed (sideways)" - shouldn't that be shoulders open?

i thought the narrower the pitcher is to the batter (e.g. sideways), the more open she is. the more closed (e.g. slam the door), the more closed or did i get that backwards? :)

TIA

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2016
This is a picture with her arm in the 9:00 position. From what I have been reading about IR her palm needs to be facing more up instead of towards 3rd. She also has glove swim which she has always pitched with. How important is that to get fixed?
5b5e388eabcca65d79b228a9683af61f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
1) There are other ways to describe the IR motion. We here on the board refer to the bad pitching motion as "hello elbow" (HE). Your DD appears to be on her way to developing a good IR motion.
2) Ball up at 9 is very important.
3) Most high level pitchers do not have glove swim. There are a few who do. At your DD's age, it can be fixed. She needs to work on bringing the glove down so that it hits the inside of her thigh.
4) Do what Boardmember says.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
This is a picture with her arm in the 9:00 position. From what I have been reading about IR her palm needs to be facing more up instead of towards 3rd. She also has glove swim which she has always pitched with. How important is that to get fixed?
5b5e388eabcca65d79b228a9683af61f.png

I think this advice given earlier gives you plenty to work on. Point 1 addresses the question you have above about ball position and Point 2 may help with that issue too as it will adjust the angle of the body.
1.) Working on keeping the maximum hand/wrist rotation over the top and down the back to ball facing out to up vs. turning it down then back up.

2.) Keeping her hips and shoulders closed (sideways) to the target longer to encourage more adduction and a throw that is into and across the hip line vs. how open her throw is. Her plant foot and knee is almost facing forward. The human anatomy isn't made to create resistance to forward momentum when the knee and foot are directly facing the force vector.

The swimming seems not to be an absolute (if you watched games in the World Series) but improving in point 2 above could also improve the swim issue.

Jun 14, 2016
Ok, thanks. Appreciate all the advice. We will work on what board member suggested 1st and go from there.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Legends, the good news is that your DD is talented. The bad news is that your DD is talented. 58MPH puts her into the "elite" category at 14U. (Don't worry about game speed at her age...) This makes your life much more complicated.

If she loves softball, you need to go "all in". If she were my kid, I would find the best PC available in your area. A new PC might cost more and you might have to drive farther for the lessons. You also need to make sure she is playing on a top travel team where she is facing excellent competition every weekend.

Jun 14, 2016
We live in south la, so if anybody knows of a good pc in this area, please let me know. The good news is that I don't think she was ever taught HE because I have never seen her pitch in that way but I think she may have gone as far as we can go with her present pc.

Sep 29, 2014
Just as a point of reference so you get a visual of what it should look like at 9 oclock (disregard the blue line that was in reference to something else). As sluggers said she is really talented so what we want to do is make sure she has proper mechanics because at some point the girls she plays with will be almost as talented and strong but have proper mechanics which means they can actually surpass her performance even though not as physically gifted.

amanda plant distance.JPG

Jun 14, 2016
Ok, so ball should be up. The drills in IR in the classroom should help her with this.

Jul 14, 2008
Stop the rotation of ball from facing forward at the top to facing down behind her by pulling down from the top.

95qtxc.png

30nhlwn.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi