Feedback for my 12 YO

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
In general she looks pretty good.

Just my opinion, but there is no reason to bring the hands over the head before she swings back. I would correct this now before she ingrains the motion. Keep the backswing simple (start at the waist) and bring the glove and ball hand back together to hide the grip as long as possible.

As mentioned, she needs much better front side resistance. One cue that helped my DD from falling forward at release was her PC told her to pretend there is a cliff right in front of her stride foot (left foot) and you do not want to go over that cliff! I also say "stick the landing" (think gymnastics vault routine) of the plant foot, to allow all of the stored energy to be transferred from the drive off the rubber to the throwing arm.

Sep 29, 2014
Lots of little things don't see anything huge I'll do a little more tomorrow.

Front lean posture at release is super common this just shows what we are talking about. Also others have mentioned falling through/forward on release; she should be standing straight up and just come back or neutral to rest not forward

front lean.JPGjennie finish.JPGamanda finsh.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2016
Thanks all! She didn't used to fall through the front. I think it is related to recent 2" growth spurt, and she hasn't yet adjusted the length of her leap.

Even with the growth spurt, she is still small for her age (5'2" and 95 pounds on a heavy day--lol). She does have longer arms on her side and some natural athleticism. She is a multi-sport player with track being her favorite. With all that said, she really wants to pitch, so we will keep working on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi