Fear of the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 2, 2014
Hello,
My DD recently joined 8U softball team and since I showed interest I was quickly recruited as the assistant coach. I find a lot of helpful tips on this site and was hoping I could get some advice. The experience level varies greatly on the team. I have about half that are not afraid to get in front of the ball and the other half not so much when it is thrown/rolled to them. What are some good ways to build confidence into them and what drills do you guys use to get this fear out of them quickly? It seems one of the main things we need to improve on is catching the ball. Any tips/Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jul 17, 2012
Hello,
My DD recently joined 8U softball team and since I showed interest I was quickly recruited as the assistant coach. I find a lot of helpful tips on this site and was hoping I could get some advice. The experience level varies greatly on the team. I have about half that are not afraid to get in front of the ball and the other half not so much when it is thrown/rolled to them. What are some good ways to build confidence into them and what drills do you guys use to get this fear out of them quickly? It seems one of the main things we need to improve on is catching the ball. Any tips/Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

You need to build them from the ground up at that age. Start with rolling (Very Slowly and teaching them the "Alligator". Each kid is different, so you need to pay attention. Some, you'll need to roll it slow enough to the point it stops at their glove to get them to do it right. Some will get it very quickly. Spend a lot of time on this. Remember, at this age, actually making a play should be the very last goal on your agenda. Teach them how to do it right NOW...and they will benefit tremendously as they develop. With catching a thrown ball, I find MANY at this age that want to basket catch everything. For that, I use the oven mitt and wiffle balls, or foam balls. Even a tennis ball can impart fear, so go with something nearly weightless. Just toss balls to them and have them get used to the angle at which the glove should be held to make the catch. The goal is to have the ball hit the oven mitt....no goal of actually catching the ball. Once they have the proper glove angle for balls thrown in all directions, switch to bare hand and golf ball sized wiffle balls to teach them the concept of closing their hand to catch the ball, but AT THE RIGHT ANGLE... no baskets.....and glove hand only. This will teach them the concept of timing the closure of the glove. I would also promote teaching them to catch a thrown ball with one hand, but keeping the throwing hand near the glove. Young kids will have a tendency to try to catch the ball in a manner that you or I would use 2 hands to catch a beach ball. You want to enforce good glove technique first, so in the beginning, ONE HAND! I laugh every time I hear coaches of 8u teams yelling 2 hands when the kids have no clue how to actually use their glove in the first place.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
1. Make sure they have a glove that properly fits their hand and is of normal quality. There are some decent affordable gloves out there that don't need much breaking in; the leather is nice and soft. Have a glove that works is huge for confidence and success. IOW recommend they stay away from the stiff fake-leather Hello Kitty or Barbie gloves one might get at Target.

2. Use the appropriate size softball; perhaps even a RIF ball. They start at 10", and go to 11" and then 12". I'm not a fan of having a catch with tennis ball...I would rather they have a softball in their hand; albeit a RIF.

3. You need to have many many many catches with them. And when you do and are starting off...throw the ball to their glove....wherever it is. Hit their glove with your throw! The glove will accept the ball and naturally close on it. Sooner or later they will start to move their glove to the ball and technique and confidence will start to build.

4. Most importantly...tell the parents they need to have catches with their DD at home. If you think about it...most pitchers are really good fielders and good with their glove. This is because when they are practicing pitching, they need to catch the ball that is thrown back by the catcher. So while they are practicing pitching, they are also getting many reps of catching throws that are thrown back to them by their Mom or Dad, and sometimes in all different directions. When pitchers practice, they are having a "catch" with their parents ALL the time.

Hope this helps

Aug 20, 2013
Also starting with rubber or indoor balls might help them build confidence. You could even start with tennis balls.

Nov 29, 2009
I have worked with 100's of young players. It's not a matter of fear. Rather, it's a lack of confidence in their abilities. Here is what do to help them with learning how to catch a ball.

If they are REAL timid about catching a ball I will sit them down on a chair, bench or bucket. It really doesn't matter. I want them so they can't move out of the way of a ball. With no glove I toss wiffle balls at them underhanded easily. With no glove they are forced to catch the ball with both hands and not to rely on a glove. As they build confidence move back slowly throwing the wiffle slightly harder as you do. This gives them the confidence to catch the ball without the fear of being injured. I repeat the same thing with a tennis ball, then a softie and finally a regular ball. Don't move on until you're sure the player is showing confidence in their ability to catch the ball.

Once the sitting portion is done I repeat the same thing with them facing me starting with a softie and moving up to a regular ball. I've had great success using this process. It helps the kids build the needed confidence in themselves. After they are confident in their ability to catch a ball start using the glove and slowly expand the throwing distance and speed.

The hardest part is patience on your part. Each kid moves at their own pace. Tons and tons of positive reinforcement helps along the way. I usually task another parent to help with the exercise. They seem to have more patience with another child other than their own.

Jul 17, 2012
If they are REAL timid about catching a ball I will sit them down on a chair, bench or bucket. It really doesn't matter. I want them so they can't move out of the way of a ball. With no glove I toss wiffle balls at them underhanded easily. With no glove they are forced to catch the ball with both hands and not to rely on a glove.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more ... 90% of the challenge is teaching how to actually use the glove, and judge how to catch the ball with it. My 6 year old can catch a ball quite easily with 2 hands like you would catch a basketball thrown to you. Using the glove properly is what needs to be focused on. What you describe, in my opinion encourages the dreaded "Basket Catch"

Nov 29, 2009
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more ... 90% of the challenge is teaching how to actually use the glove, and judge how to catch the ball with it. My 6 year old can catch a ball quite easily with 2 hands like you would catch a basketball thrown to you. Using the glove properly is what needs to be focused on. What you describe, in my opinion encourages the dreaded "Basket Catch"

Did you not read the whole thing??? Once they have confidence in their ability to catch a ball you move to teaching them how to use a glove. What I outlined is strictly used for overcoming the fear of being hurt. AFTER you've done that you move to teaching the correct glove use.

Feb 7, 2013
For brand new players, we start out catching a tennis ball with both hands (no glove), next we have them catch the tennis ball with only their right hand, then only their left hand, then we introduced the softball and repeat steps above. Once they get proficient and comfortable with the above, we let them use their glove. Thumbs to thumbs when catching. Once they get used to this, work on just forehand catches, then backhand. Play lots of catch, from shorter distances to longer distances as they get more comfortable and consistent. Don't forget to teach good throwing techniques which goes hand in hand with catching practice. Most kids will improve quickly after a few practices. But I have see a few kids who had bad hand eye coordination and would occasionally get hit in the face with a ball. They were always scared and never seemed to get comfortable. These kids would drop out after a few seasons. Their parents never played catch with them which I think was also one of the problems.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2012
Did you not read the whole thing??? Once they have confidence in their ability to catch a ball you move to teaching them how to use a glove. What I outlined is strictly used for overcoming the fear of being hurt. AFTER you've done that you move to teaching the correct glove use.

I did read your whole post. I just don't see the value of the 2 handed catch with no glove. I use the oven mitt to teach them the proper way to catch a ball thrown to different areas of their body. Take the mindset off of catching the ball, and they will learn to "judge" how their hand should be oriented with an approaching ball. The weightless ball will eliminate fear. I'm not knocking what you believe....just sharing my opinion..... you're welcome to see it as absolutely wrong/worthless. From my experience, the "natural" thing for kids to do, even with a glove on their hand is to catch the ball in the same manner as they would if they didn't have a glove on. Catching a tossed object is a basic motor skill taught in preschool, and it certainly doesn't translate to catching a ball with a glove.....not for the majority of beginners anyway. The very first goal should be to teach them how to use the glove...... catching the ball will come with practice. If an 8 year old drops 99 out of 100 balls using the glove correctly, I'll take that kid over the one that uses the basket catch and snags 50 out of 100. It's no mystery...once they know HOW to do it....they get more proficient as they get more reps.