FC or Hit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
Right, but the original post is kind of vague about that. What is "going to be safe easy"? For me, the batter would pretty much have to already be on first base for me to award the hit. If the fielder fielded the ball and went straight home with it, I couldn't say "obviously safe" even if the batter were 3/4's of the way to first. Or if the fielder fielded the ball, checked first and then made the decision to go home, I'd probably call it a hit.
It is a judgement call for sure so I am just taking the OP for his word that she would be safe as this is all the scorer has to determine 🤷‍♂️ You are right though, 99 times out of 100 that is scored a FC.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
That's how I would score the original post.

Another situation is if all the above happens, but the catcher doesn't drop the ball but also doesn't make the tag. In that case, I'd probably score it as a sacrifice bunt for the batter.
Yeah if the runner is safe and no error on the pitcher or catcher then Batter would either be credited with hit or sacrifice bunt (RBI in either case) depending on whether the official scorer thought the runner at first would have been safe or out had the throw gone to first.

In the OPs example, the batter would have been credited with a hit as described had he runner been safe at home with no error.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Right, but the original post is kind of vague about that. What is "going to be safe easy"? For me, the batter would pretty much have to already be on first base for me to award the hit. If the fielder fielded the ball and went straight home with it, I couldn't say "obviously safe" even if the batter were 3/4's of the way to first. Or if the fielder fielded the ball, checked first and then made the decision to go home, I'd probably call it a hit.
When in doubt side with the batter beating it out. If it would have been a difficult play at first, hit. If it would have been a routine out FC or Sac depending on result of the rest of the play.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Based on the OP's description, I'd score it hit, E2, no RBI, but it's kind of an unusual play and that batter-runner would have to be very obviously safe. Like the only reason the pitcher threw home was because she had no chance at first type of thing. Maybe the runner on third broke late after the pitcher had already decided to not bother making a throw to first.

I can see it happening. Just now how it would typically play out.

Aug 5, 2022
Why isn’t it a sac…the point was to move the runner and score the run. Took the bat out of the batters hand by making her bunt. Batter shouldn’t get punished with a fc for doing her job and getting an RBI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 28, 2017
There is an option to give a hit if the scorer thinks the batter runner would have made it to first safely had a play been made on her.
I had never thought of it but it’s a base running error and doesn’t seem fair to call a bunt single a FC.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2017
Well she can fly and was about 2 ft from the bag and the pitchers back to her. She’s special! Again not my DD. No way she would have been out.

Jan 28, 2017
It is a judgement call for sure so I am just taking the OP for his word that she would be safe as this is all the scorer has to determine 🤷‍♂️ You are right though, 99 times out of 100 that is scored a FC.
No question on being safe. I don’t know how they scored it. Just never thought about it.

Jan 28, 2017
Based on the OP's description, I'd score it hit, E2, no RBI, but it's kind of an unusual play and that batter-runner would have to be very obviously safe. Like the only reason the pitcher threw home was because she had no chance at first type of thing. Maybe the runner on third broke late after the pitcher had already decided to not bother making a throw to first.

I can see it happening. Just now how it would typically play out.
I’m not sure if the runner at third broke late or not but not close at first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles