FC or Hit

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Batter bunts the ball and is going to be safe easy. The pitcher throws home and runner should be out but the catcher drops the ball. Not a force out. What’s the official ruling?

Nov 29, 2009
Fielder's Choice. A play needed to be made to 1st base and the batter/runner beat the throw for a hit.

Jun 8, 2016
Batter bunts the ball and is going to be safe easy. The pitcher throws home and runner should be out but the catcher drops the ball. Not a force out. What’s the official ruling?
The way you described it that is a hit but sort of unusual that there would be a play at home but the runner would have easily been safe at first...your DD must be really fast..

Jan 28, 2017
The way you described it that is a hit but sort of unusual that there would be a play at home but the runner would have easily been safe at first...your DD must be really fast..
Not my DD but can fly. Won the All American home to home deal a couple of years ago. Ok if the kid was actually out at home for the third out, how do you rule it?

Apr 12, 2015
It'd still be scored as FC as far as I know. Its still the fielder making a choice to attempt to put out another runner rather than the batter.

Apr 12, 2015
E2, Batter reaches on FC
That's how I would score the original post.

Another situation is if all the above happens, but the catcher doesn't drop the ball but also doesn't make the tag. In that case, I'd probably score it as a sacrifice bunt for the batter.

Apr 12, 2015
There is an option to give a hit if the scorer thinks the batter runner would have made it to first safely had a play been made on her.
Right, but the original post is kind of vague about that. What is "going to be safe easy"? For me, the batter would pretty much have to already be on first base for me to award the hit. If the fielder fielded the ball and went straight home with it, I couldn't say "obviously safe" even if the batter were 3/4's of the way to first. Or if the fielder fielded the ball, checked first and then made the decision to go home, I'd probably call it a hit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles