Favorite Fielding Drills

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I'm running my annual 3 day "boot camp" later this week for my 12U team and would love to hear what are some of your favorite drills that you run.

To give you an idea, I do plenty of stuff from the Kobata DVD's and Wasserman's stuff on throwing.

I will be using a pitching machine for outfield work.

I'd love to hear what are your favorite infield or outfield drills just to spice it up for the girls.

TIA

CP

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Kids seem to have fun with my "booted ball drill" that simulates a blown ground ball. Have player in ready position, stand behind her, roll the ball on the ground to one side or the other, through the legs, toss it over her shoulder, whatever. The idea is to find the ball, pick it up properly (pushing it into the ground and therefore into the fingers), set the feet, and make a good throw to first.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Kids seem to have fun with my "booted ball drill" that simulates a blown ground ball. Have player in ready position, stand behind her, roll the ball on the ground to one side or the other, through the legs, toss it over her shoulder, whatever. The idea is to find the ball, pick it up properly (pushing it into the ground and therefore into the fingers), set the feet, and make a good throw to first.

We actually did something similar called the bobble drill. Stop grounder with closed glove and recover as best as possible. Also helpful to yell "BOBBLE" when someone unintentionally bobbles not during the drill... Or so an old coach of mine seemed to think.