Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2016
More dangerous to drive your car.

Actually, no. Only 36,000 US car related fatalities in 2018 (latest year I could find). Or about 98 deaths per day.

FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS, THERE HAVE BEEN AROUND 2,000 deaths per day related to Covid 19! And that is with basically a National Shut Down. So, if you say it's about 20 times as deadly as driving a car, WHEN YOU SHUT DOWN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY DOWN. That would be more accurate.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2014
Actually, no. Only 36,000 US car related fatalities in 2018 (latest year I could find). Or about 98 deaths per day.

FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS, THERE HAVE BEEN AROUND 2,000 deaths per day related to Covid 19! And that is with basically a National Shut Down. So, if you say it's about 20 times as deadly as driving a car, WHEN YOU SHUT THE ENTIRE COUNTRY DOWN. That would be more accurate.
Ha ha ha!

Read again, this time, calmly. Relax and let the words sink in. I said ---

Your chance of death is very low if you are under 60 and have no underlying conditions. More dangerous to drive your car.

You are quoting numbers for ALL Covid deaths, not those people under 60 with no underlying conditions. If you compare apples to apples, you will see that your chances of dying in your car are MUCH greater than they are of dying by Coivd if you are under 60 with no underlying conditions. So when all of this is over, you better stay at home or walk wherever you go since Covid scares you this much.

Mar 28, 2014
Are your driving numbers also people under 60 with no underlying conditions? If you take old people out of the equation, driving would be a lot safer too...
25,834 people under the age of 60 died in car accidents. Thus far there have been a total of 4,362 deaths for ALL people under the age of 60 from Covid-19. Using the Massachusetts number, ie... 2.5% of those deaths were people with no underlying conditions, you get 109 Covid-19 deaths of people under the age of 60 with no underlying conditions as of the week ending April 18.

25,834 traffic fatalities vs 109 Covid-19 fatalities thus far. I stand by my statement that you have a better chance of dying in a car wreck than you do of Covid-19 if you are under the age of 60 with no underlying condition. The numbers clearly say I'm correct.

Driving Fatalities 2018 -
fatal accidents.JPG

coronavirus deaths.png

Jun 8, 2016
You are comparing different timescales and it isn't meaningful. You see these discussions of COVID-19 vs. car crashes vs. the flu all over the web. It's garbage math...
The real question (for an individual) is how does the (current) risk for people of a certain age compare to the flu since we operate under those risks every year (in terms of an infectious disease). Of course there are other considerations besides individual ones...

One interesting thing I read that was a bit disconcerting was that the current administration is the first in a long time to not have a bioethics committee advising them...

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Forget to address the NY issue. Be careful what you wish for regarding NY. Yes the total numbers will go down significantly but the trend of cases in US flattening out or even decreasing some is also effected disproportionally by NY and the fact their cases do seem to be dropping every day..if you take out NY from the rest of the country you might actually be seeing the number of cases still rising across much of the rest of the country..
Is this a toggling response?

Does any body else recognize the #'s and reports are inconsistant?

Then the backtracking,
Incorrect statements of death.
Thousands recovered not tested.
Yes this is very contagious.
Can we agree on that.

But ongoing chatter trying to determine #'s back and forth using flucuating incorrect misreported and un-counted #'s????
My goodness,,,

Jun 8, 2016
Is this a toggling response?
Maybe...if I knew what that meant :LOL:

My comment was basically if you want to get a feel for what your area should be doing, if you want to base that upon what many scientists are saying with regards to ending social distancing, you need to look at your individual state. For example this site lists date recommendations for relaxing social distancing on a state by state basis based upon their model predictions (which are much better now then they were at the beginning) along with the availability of testing, etc in each individual state:

Of course there are other considerations which these dates don't take into account e.g. balancing health with economic impact.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
The real question (for an individual) is how does the (current) risk for people of a certain age compare to the flu since we operate under those risks every year (in terms of an infectious disease). Of course there are other considerations besides individual ones...

One interesting thing I read that was a bit disconcerting was that the current administration is the first in a long time to not have a bioethics committee advising them...
Ca. Governor said yesterday Ca. Will have hundreds of thousands of antibody tests comming. 200,000 then 250,000 ( think it was?)
And then said just contracted 1.5 million more.
This 'could/should' help to pattars point of calculate risk.

Jun 8, 2016
Ca. Governor said yesterday Ca. Will have hundreds of thousands of antibody tests comming.
And then said just contracted 1.5 million more.
This 'could/should' help tonpattars point of risk.
That is nice for CA ;). On the otherhand OK is at the bottom of testing capacity at the moment...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan