Fastpitch in North Carolina

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Might be moving to the Raleigh-Durham area. Was curious about softball there. DD is 12u.

When are tryouts? I know school ball is spring there (vs. fall in Georgia). Does the TB season go beyond August since there's no school ball? Is it hard to find a team?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Don't know much about fastpitch in North Carolina, but I do know there are a handful of girls from NC who play on teams in GA, so I would not get your hopes up for high level TB. Good luck!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've seen a couple of pretty good NC teams in A-level Georgia tournaments this year and chatted w/ a couple of parents. One did concede there are more elite teams in Georgia. That said, my daughter is no college prospect, so we wouldn't be looking for a national contender.

Feb 3, 2011
NC has always had big boppers and strong arms in slowpitch, but they just started playing fastpitch in the high schools during the mid-90s, so there's not a long history.

Chances are you'll be helping to lay the foundation when you get there.

Oct 19, 2009
Check out the CV (Catawba Valley?) Storm. I remember being very impressed with their 10u team in Myrtle Beach two years ago. Very well coached.

I don't know how far that is from Raleigh-Durham though but some parents are willing to travel long distances to practice with a good team.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
One of our rival coaches sends his daughter to a team in the triangle area from the mid lands of SC to play ball. He is a good coach and she is an excellent player (think in the 12U), so I am sure they did their homework before deciding to travel 200 miles to play on a softball team. If we play them again later this year I will ask him which team she plays for.

Oct 25, 2009
You are in for a very pleasant surprise! There are quite a few great organizations in NC and in the area you asked about in particular.

In no particular order, some of the organizations: Cardinals, NC Challengers, Triangle Lightning, Lady Lightning, Spirits, Carolina Flames, Carolina Wildcats, and a few more. Most all of those organizations have done well at places like Boulder, Rising Stars, Texas, etc.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Y'all got a pitcher in North Carolina named Michelle Pie? We did battle back and forth with her at a tourney in Texas in 12U, she should be 16-17 now. I always thought she might amount to something.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Y'all got a pitcher in North Carolina named Michelle Pie? We did battle back and forth with her at a tourney in Texas in 12U, she should be 16-17 now. I always thought she might amount to something.

There's a player that I competed with as a little girl, so about ten years ago. She was a pitcher at 10U and could throw unnaturally hard. Blew everyone out of the water... would love to know what she's up to now, so I can definitely relate to your wondering.

I love Raleigh, NC. I live a couple of hours from Raleigh (in VA). I don't know too much about the circuit down there, but I have seen some names listed. In VA, travel ball is played through the fall, with a break during December, then it fires itself back up in January for indoor practices. Not as intense as the spring, however. The fall is a time for building and there are a lot of girls that stay down an age bracket for the fall, in hopes of trophies for their organizations (always thought that was stupid) or for the hope of improving with more playing time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877