Fastballs Good Enough for MLB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I've been enjoying playoff baseball the last few weeks as I suspect have others. Not a real fan of the network broadcasts, graphics (the side view streak of the pitch trajectory has not confirmed the existence of a rising fastball and is particularly useless IMO), or announcers; however, one thing I have noticed is the pitch breakdown. MLB pitchers generally are throwing their fastball more than 50% of the time. How can this be effective in MLB against the greatest hitters in the world, but frowned upon at upper levels in fastpitch (where most girls' swings still are perceived as flawed).

The only way I can rationalize this is perhaps because a riseball and dropball, which principally change planes vertically in the FP world, would be considered fastball variations in the BB universe, rather than breaking pitches which involve lateral articulation of the wrist and sideways movement. Any other thoughts or rational explanations?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I guess this depends on a few things.

1. What other pitch is working?
2. Most "ELITE" BB pitchers have 3 maybe 4 pitches with only 2 being plus type "A" pitches or "OUT" pitches compared to our beloved sport where everything but the fastball is probably and "OUT" style pitch
3. Reaction time. With "ELITE" TB players who's speeds reach upper 60's there's less reaction time than in MLB which means swing level and hit the fastball. This is just my humble opinion.

I think all people should youtube sports science's Softball vs Baseball with Jennie Finch. Put's the sports into a nice perspective.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I guess this depends on a few things.

1. What other pitch is working?
2. Most "ELITE" BB pitchers have 3 maybe 4 pitches with only 2 being plus type "A" pitches or "OUT" pitches compared to our beloved sport where everything but the fastball is probably and "OUT" style pitch
3. Reaction time. With "ELITE" TB players who's speeds reach upper 60's there's less reaction time than in MLB which means swing level and hit the fastball. This is just my humble opinion.

I think all people should youtube sports science's Softball vs Baseball with Jennie Finch. Put's the sports into a nice perspective.

1. ???
2. Why can't the FB be an out pitch?
3. Do the math. The reaction times are very comparable (and the balls don't move nearly as much in FP as in BB.)

As far as Finch v. the big boys, give them several hundred reps to get used to the different release point etc. and they'd hit her probably at least as well as they hit MLB pitching

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
The size of a softball is considerable larger than a baseball so a straight fastball in fastpitch will get hit hard against good hitters using composite bats. The other factor is that MLB pitchers pitch from a raised mound which gives an advantage to the pitcher since you are throwing downhill and releasing the ball at a higher release point and downward angle even with the fastball. I'm sure that if a straight fastball was an effective pitch at the elite level of fastpitch, male pitchers like Bill Hillhouse would certainly use it.

Mar 26, 2013
Wood bats versus composite bats.
Not sure I understand. I will readily agree that wooden bats don't hit balls as far as composites, but I don't beleive that wood (or composite) bats hit breaking balls better than fastballs.
Metal and composite bats are far more forgiving than wood bats - they have a larger sweet spot and also provide much better results on mis-hits (e.g. off end of bat).

A few other factors -

1. There is more than 1 type of fastball in BB and most don't go straight. Most MLB pitchers don't throw their FB for maximum velocity - they find a sweet spot that provides the most effective combination of speed and movement.

2. Even with the same time to react, it is harder to hit a pitch that is going about 50% faster - let alone a smaller ball as previously mentioned.

3. It is more difficult to consistently throw pitches in the strike zone with breaking pitches in BB than FP because of the extra distance and movement.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Theres no forgiveness on a wood bat. If I dont hit the ball clean then it fouls off or pops up meaning their is more forgiveness for the pitcher than the batter.

Im a much better hitter now with a composite bat than I was in college (and in prime shape physically and athletically) using a wood bat.

Jul 26, 2010
In baseball, fastballs are actually faster then breaking pitches. In fastpitch, this is not the case. With the exception of the changeup, very few pitches are offspeed, and those that are are usually unsuccessful in later stages of the game.

The definition of a fastball in fastpitch is a pitch that does not break.

-W

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The only way I can rationalize this is perhaps because a riseball and dropball, which principally change planes vertically in the FP world, would be considered fastball variations in the BB universe, rather than breaking pitches which involve lateral articulation of the wrist and sideways movement. Any other thoughts or rational explanations?

I think you hit the nail on the head. Very few good MLB fastballs are what would be described as straight. They all have some sink, run, cut, "hop", etc. and most of the really good ones are described as "having late life".

A riseball in SB really is a very good high fastball IMHO. And a drop ball can be considered either like sinking fast ball in BB or good 12-6 curveball in BB depending on the speed/spin at which it is thrown.

This is just my humble opinion though, mileage may vary from others.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC