Fast Pitch Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
maybe his DW needs to be treated like well meaning but dumbass . . excuse uninformed . . . coaches "Yes Dear/Coach" nodding, then do what you know to be correct.

Jun 8, 2016
maybe his DW needs to be treated like well meaning but dumbass . . excuse uninformed . . . coaches "Yes Dear/Coach" nodding, then do what you know to be correct.
For sure, but it is easier with the dumbass coach as you don't have to share a bed with them...

Ensue Pillow Talk:

DW: So did *insert DD's name" do what I suggested and fix *insert faulty issue"
DH: Uh yeah, uh it worked out great
DW: So what exactly did she do to fix that
DH: Uh, I have a headache, can we talk tomorrow?

Nov 6, 2019
Look up fastpitch power on you tube they have a lot of good videos out. Depending on which style of follow through you subscribe to it may not be for you. They do not teach hello elbow like you see a lot of these days.

Oct 19, 2019
Best advice on pitching I ever got:

"Get her to stop pitching ASAP."

I have no idea who it was who told me that, but I am so happy he did.

Apr 17, 2019
My wife noticed that she doesn't square up her body towards the catcher when she is about to release the ball. She kind of stays sideways through the whole pitch.

If your wife is of a, ahem, certain age, and she played softball in the 90s, she may remember how we were taught back then.... Things have come a long way. I was there with her, trust me - show her my story ˅˅˅˅˅˅ as evidence!

Look up fastpitch power on you tube they have a lot of good videos out. Depending on which style of follow through you subscribe to it may not be for you. They do not teach hello elbow like you see a lot of these days.

They do a great job, imo. Wish Phil would get to the point a little quicker sometimes. And, wish they didn't talk about snap. They don't really teach snap, but they say the word.... Anytime I hear the word snap I put my fingers in my ears for a few seconds 🙉. The idea of 'snap' and the lack of control it brings is what brought me to this site in the first place.... I got frustrated trying to teach my beginners hello elbow style (where you square to the plate, point your elbow at the target after release) , it just takes so stinking long before they get any control over where it's going.

What turned the page for me was I've had this one girls for 3 years who is incredibly coachable, coordinated beyond her years, was doing everything "right", throws stinking hard for a 8yo, but can't get it over the plate more than 10% of the time. She started pitching lessons last year at a local 'academy'. Her PC said I was spot on in all my instruction, just needed more reps for the muscle memory. I was just not satisfied with that. There had to be some drill or technique, something I was missing that would help her. I had an "ah hah" moment while researching watching videos - realized HE is not how the "big girls" are doing it anymore, started down the rabbit hole of research, stumbled into javasource's videos and was like, what's this I/R in the classroom thing? Now I just have to figure out how to walk back 3 years of coaching with her this spring...

It looks like your DD is doing the perfectly natural and sensible throwing motion that seems to have been canonically named I/R. Stick with it.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
Greetings DFP! It has been along time since I posted as I needed to take some time away but glad to be back! BEST SOFTBALL WEBSITE out there so those of you that have found it have a treasure at your finger tips! OK, enough of that.....

To the OP and I am blunt. I will always listen as I have learned so much over the almost 8 years here and I am always learning.

1. Stay away from crazy Phil and Fast pitch Power with that Forearm fire thing. Don't believe me? Scour the history on this site. He was blown up years ago. His videos are just goofy. Sorry, I am sure he is a nice guy but all you need sits on this site. Gold is buried here. The old timers will help you find it!

2. Your DD has more smile, wit, energy than many I have seen. I love it! You go girl! But if you want to make her better, you need to dive deep into the depths of this site. Start with IR and brush! She has upper arm IR but she also has a "MONKEY BUTT". She is getting out of the way of her pitch so she doesn't hit her side so her butt moves out of the way. Just research it here and I wish I could remember who coined the phrase years ago.

Don't just keep doing what your are doing as it will come as others have said. DO make her better as that is what she wants to do and you do as well. Study IR, Study Brush, study where her forearm should be behind the hip bone and look where it is or isn't now.

Your DD can be really really good! All the information is HERE to help you!! Keep studying and reading the posts that reside here and most of them are before many of the members that post here joined. Not taking away from new members at all as everyone is happy to see this site grow. But the knowledge sits with so many.....

Sluggers
Java
Rick Pauly
Cannonball - Hitting
Ken B
Coach James
Riseball!
Bill Hillhouse
Board Member BM - told you I would edit....geez, probably should have been first on my list

Leaving out 10 to 20 names that are gold and have been around and my apologies and will edit them in later as I am dusting off the DFP Rust.

Glad to be back and wish your DD well!

Always here to help!

S3

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
Strike3..............!!!!! He's baaaaaaccccckkkkk. The exile is over eh? A few things seem to have changed in the relatively short time period you've been gone. Would you believe that HE and the old school slingshot style are making a comeback and IR has been debunked?

LOL, me either. To the OP, spend your time reading, studying and re-reading the stickies in the Pitching forum here. Follow those members and the info the provide here as well as on their individual sites (ie; FastPitch Foundations). Don't attempt to incorporate it all at once. Keep it fun and the expectations for understanding and learning high. It's a difficult journey and not for everyone but the rewards can be huge!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles