Fan Interference - is this common at college / university games?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2012
My family attended our first NCAA University game Sunday, two of our big schools playing a game off-campus at a public ball park not far from our house. We thought it would be great to being our 9 year old DD out to watch live (she watches a lot of Big10 games on the tube). Turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.

We quickly became sensitized to this one guy... who had a boomng voice and was providing sound effects when the UBC batters were up. When there were hits, he was providing very incorrect base coaching instructions - at 120 db. When it was SFU's turn to bat, he went in behind the backstop and started convulsing as the pitcher was going into her delivery. Odd. Anyway, I taped a little, just because.

Softball Fan? on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;60989978]http://vimeo.com/60989978[/video]

Eventually, someone wearing UBC garb sat down with him and calmly suggested that cheering is great, but, he's not cheering and the women playing dont need his help - and maybe he should let them setting the game on the field. Superfan reluctantly agreed, and toned his act down, a little. We moved to the far side because he was creeping my daughter out. That and, being a UBC grad myself, I kinda wanted to deal with him myself, but was requested by my spouse to restrain myself.

Anyway... so, my daughter asks on the way home, so, is that kind of thing normal at college games? Cant imagine it is, I figure someone doing that stuff south of the 49th would probably get run out on a rail (us being polite Canadians and all, it was dealt with only partially in a low key manner), but, would like to see how common that type of behaviour really is?

Thanks!

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Your video is hilarious.
I was in the stands at a college tournament 2 weeks ago watching UCSD play Southern miss. The "fan" sitting behind me shouted coaching advice and tips before every single pitch of that game. I finally turned around to give him a look and he says "oh sorry am I too loud?"
i said no but I asked him if he was going to coach the entire game? He quieted down a little after that but not much.
Yes it happens. But at bigger events the only folks that hear it are the spectators in the immediate area.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Since DD’s not playing right now I was bored and decided to go out and enjoy a game. I will try to avoid the games you are at in the future.

Jun 22, 2008
First off, I doubt the pitcher even noticed him. Pitchers are typically so zoned in on the strike zone they see little else. I have had pitchers trying to pitch when I wasnt even behind the catcher.

But yes, you do see a fair amount of this at various college games and some get extremely loud. I really love the ones that are 150' down the 3rd base line in the top row of the stands that are screaming at the umpire about the strike zone. Like they have any idea of where the pitch was from that distance.

Jun 13, 2012
Since DD’s not playing right now I was bored and decided to go out and enjoy a game. I will try to avoid the games you are at in the future.

OMG that was funny. Well, nice to put a face to a name there Quincy... or um, not. Do you want me to send you the rest of the video? The whole pant adjusting sequence was equally amusing, but, for different reasons. LOL

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My family attended our first NCAA University game Sunday, two of our big schools playing a game off-campus at a public ball park not far from our house. We thought it would be great to being our 9 year old DD out to watch live (she watches a lot of Big10 games on the tube). Turned out to be a bit of a nightmare.

We quickly became sensitized to this one guy... who had a boomng voice and was providing sound effects when the UBC batters were up. When there were hits, he was providing very incorrect base coaching instructions - at 120 db. When it was SFU's turn to bat, he went in behind the backstop and started convulsing as the pitcher was going into her delivery. Odd. Anyway, I taped a little, just because.

Softball Fan? on Vimeo

[video=vimeo;60989978]http://vimeo.com/60989978[/video]

Eventually, someone wearing UBC garb sat down with him and calmly suggested that cheering is great, but, he's not cheering and the women playing dont need his help - and maybe he should let them setting the game on the field. Superfan reluctantly agreed, and toned his act down, a little. We moved to the far side because he was creeping my daughter out. That and, being a UBC grad myself, I kinda wanted to deal with him myself, but was requested by my spouse to restrain myself.

Anyway... so, my daughter asks on the way home, so, is that kind of thing normal at college games? Cant imagine it is, I figure someone doing that stuff south of the 49th would probably get run out on a rail (us being polite Canadians and all, it was dealt with only partially in a low key manner), but, would like to see how common that type of behaviour really is?

Thanks!

This is someone's Dad. Think about it, his dd has put up with this for 12 or more years. She must be tough as nails.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We've taken DD to college games from JC to DI and everything between. We have not seen this silly behavior at any of them but I've heard of it happening.

The video reminded me of a game that DD pitched a no hitter in at 14U. A dad from the other team was behind the backstop jumping around and yelling, trying to get into her head. After the game she told me that she was glad he did that because it made her mad and she threw harder because of him :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This is someone's Dad. Think about it, his dd has put up with this for 12 or more years. She must be tough as nails.

If I did this at my DD's game, she would kill me in my sleep. Actually she probably wouldn't wait even that long.

Jun 13, 2012

Actually, we think now that this guy was an "uninvested" spectator. Was talking with another family that was at the first game of the double header & it sounds like he was asked to cease or leave by both teams at different times.

Anyway, it was a great afternoon to be outside in the sun watching some great early season ball regardless. As distinct as this guy was, the grab short made late in the game on a line drive with runs in scoring position was memorable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1