falling off to side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location

She is going to be a really good pitcher some day. She looks like she took your instruction about the back foot and was able to make a quick change.

One of the things I know I faced with my first daughter was a personal challenge to be able to be patient and take it slow. As a result of my inability to build the foundation brick by brick I did her a disservice and allowed some things to stay in her motion longer than they needed to. With my second daughter I am really taking a different approach and just building the motion up from drills to the full motion. I would say we spend about 75% of our practices on just the drills. Some days she feels it and looks great and we move on the full pitching, some days she is stuck in neutral and we just do the I/R drills. As a result she is coming along a lot faster than her sister and has fewer flaws. She pitches from full distance a lot less, but when she does she is more aware of her issues and will go back to the drills if she is out of sync.

The point of this is to say in as gentle a way as I can, that your daughter has a ways to go to have that good foundation. You can choose to take it slow and keep to the drills and really focus on doing it right or you can go for quick results in a full pitch and maybe she gets some decent results quickly but will do so with a variety of flaws that will be terribly difficult to correct after she pitches in the full motion with them.

I will ask the other regular posters to chime in here and yeah/nay what I am saying so you can get more of a broad opinion and see if I just have my head up my rear, but the best thing you can do for her right now is to do the drills in the I/R thread and post video of them for feedback and only when they are being done correctly should you move on to the full motion.

Jul 10, 2011
She is going to be a really good pitcher some day. She looks like she took your instruction about the back foot and was able to make a quick change.

One of the things I know I faced with my first daughter was a personal challenge to be able to be patient and take it slow. As a result of my inability to build the foundation brick by brick I did her a disservice and allowed some things to stay in her motion longer than they needed to. With my second daughter I am really taking a different approach and just building the motion up from drills to the full motion. I would say we spend about 75% of our practices on just the drills. Some days she feels it and looks great and we move on the full pitching, some days she is stuck in neutral and we just do the I/R drills. As a result she is coming along a lot faster than her sister and has fewer flaws. She pitches from full distance a lot less, but when she does she is more aware of her issues and will go back to the drills if she is out of sync.

The point of this is to say in as gentle a way as I can, that your daughter has a ways to go to have that good foundation. You can choose to take it slow and keep to the drills and really focus on doing it right or you can go for quick results in a full pitch and maybe she gets some decent results quickly but will do so with a variety of flaws that will be terribly difficult to correct after she pitches in the full motion with them.

I will ask the other regular posters to chime in here and yeah/nay what I am saying so you can get more of a broad opinion and see if I just have my head up my rear, but the best thing you can do for her right now is to do the drills in the I/R thread and post video of them for feedback and only when they are being done correctly should you move on to the full motion.

JJ is spot on with the post above. Take it slow now and build her up right. I didn't know what to look for in a pitching coach when my DD was 10. We wound up with the hello elbow pitching coaches and developed some bad muscle memory, which is very hard to break. DD is 14 now and with the help of the experts here we are rebuilding her mechanics. Like JJ mentioned in another post, Boardmember's IR Drills and Java's Drive Mechanics will pay off big time later on for your DD when it really counts.

Good luck to your DD and looking forward to seeing her progress...the right way!

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
It looks like your DD is still having some issues with that rear foot wanting to kick out. I also agree that it is likely from that bend at the waist that she has as she turns sideways. Javasource gave my DD some great advice that immediately corrected the problem that she was having with bending at the waist in a similar fashion.

He mentioned think of cracking a walnut between your checks :). You can't do that when you are bent over, you have to stand tall to do it. So he instructed her as she was pulling the ball down to "crack the walnut". This immediately made her stand tall and also cleaned up some of the rear leg side kick that she had. Such a simple cue has made a big difference for us.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Covrec-

if you weren't scared off then please grab some video of her doing the I/R drills and we can lure some of the experts over here to give you really good free advice (not like mine which is worth exactly what you paid for it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug