falling off to side

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 26, 2008
I have a 10 year old that pitches great but ends up falling to the right after she is done with her pitch. Is this something we should change?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think so. She is probably losing some speed by not using her lower body correctly. Also at her age pitcher is the most important fielder and needs to be in a position to get the ball.

Jul 14, 2008
Oh yes, falling off to the side. Check to see if she is practicing palm up behind her..........People here have reported........OH NEVERMIND.

Ok Seriously.......Does she step far to the left of center (RH'r) when she lands on her plant foot? Or does she lean to the right, landing down the middle?

Apr 28, 2014
One thing we did to combat this was to take a clothes line and form a "V" from the plate back to the rubber. We pitch indoors in the winter so we used blue painters tape to secure to the floor....The tip of the "V" was 2' from the rubber with two top points set (one on each side of the plate). This helped DD see where she was landing. It helped and it's cheap.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Short list of possible issues to cause an excessive side lean....

Stride is way left of center
Stays completely open
Glove swims way out
Donkey kick
Poor posture
Weak resistance
Excessive rotation

Post a video for accurate fixes pertaining to your DD !

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
You should correct it. it is actually pretty easy, but it does bring into play adding some brush to the delivery.

the idea is this, if you are falling off to the pitching hand side a lot then several bad things happen.

1) You have a lot of clearance between the ball and your body, this makes it really hard to decelerate your upper arm and optimize whip.

2) You have created an angle with your body that cannot offer resistance from the front side. If you lean to third, then as the arm comes down some of that power is leaked AROUND the plant instead of into the plant.

These two things are speed reducers.

3) the further your arm circle (or the ball circle if you prefer) is from your body, the more forces a girl will tend to put on her arm to compensate to try to keep it online, this leads to circle eccentricities that make control more difficult. You might find that she is too far outside on the downswing and then the arm brings the ball from out to in at release leading to a lot of outside pitches, or she may pull hard inside on the downswing so that her hand disappears behind her body and then comes hard outside to clear and she throws inside.

Either way, the ball is not being kept on a good circle so she will need to compensate with side to side circle motion to get it to the right spot at release.

The last thing I don't like is that it is hard to get in a good fielding position if you have to catch your body hard on the pitching side after release.

So getting balanced through the pitch is critical IMO. It starts with the load and drive. You want an all back all forward feeling with no side to side in the load and explode. Then simply landing with the toes on the powerline and staying tall will help everything come into place. It is highly probably that she is doing this because of an innate feeling that she needs to clear her hip with her arm. That desire needs to be squashed and she needs to allow some brush to happen. She will hit her thigh with the ball a few times while learning this but that is part of the process and she will learn pretty quickly how to avoid the whack (and it does hurt).

Sep 10, 2013
IMHO, your dd is stepping too far to the left of the power line. there are other things i see (no pushoff i.e. stepping, glove hand) but i'll leave it to the experts :)

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
So look at her feet and ignore the rest for a minute. Do you see how the power she is creating is actually "going" to her left initially? She keeps the back foot engaged and throws from it as if it were an overhand throw, this, coupled with the step to the left creates a force vector to her left. Then this force gets deflected around her plant and the whole thing gets thrown right at the finish.

So fixing it starts with her drive, the drive should simply go out to the catcher with her toes landing on or just a hair to the right of the powerline. She also needs to stand tall and get rid of the bend. These two things will force her to bring the circle closer to the body.

Now aside from this she is also powering the pitch with that upper body lean. So she needs to change the feeling of her power being generated by her lean and push to more of an suck and whip. By suck I mean her arm being sucked hard into her side (adduction).

In a nutshell, she just needs to go through DFP pitching 101, see the I/R sticky drills, and the Drive mechanics thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug