Fall season practice - am I really doing this again??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Two practices in, I'm already exhausted!

I'm doing 10u again, and as was the case in the spring, I've got a lot of 8u girls playing up, including my AC's DD who is only 7 years old. In a rec league, sometimes things go right, sometimes things go wrong, but for some unknown reason, none of the 8u spring coaches was willing to take an 8u team for the fall.

We're small in stature, but so far, I'm loving this team. I haven't had a chance to get to know all the parents yet, but 1 has already volunteered to keep score, 3 are already helping us run practice drills, and an older sister has volunteered to work with our pitchers once a week.

Even though we are very young, the one advantage is that everyone has at least 1 season of spring rec behind them and most have more, so all the players have a pretty good idea of how to set up in the batter's box and know how to field, throw, catch, etc. For the 8u players - even the ones who are very talented - the biggest difference will be the speed of the game. In our region, there is a huge jump in game speed from 8u to 10u.

Having seen some of the other teams out there, including the other 10u team in our league, I know we're going to have the youngest 10u team in NorCal, but I expect that we'll be able to compete pretty well with the older girls. I just cannot believe that the summer season just ended 3 weeks ago and we're already playing softball again. I could use another week off......especially with this heat!

Oh well, let the fun begin. :)

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Momo'sDad,

It is people like you that keep this sport alive for the younger girls. THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!!!!!

Where are you at in NorCal? If I am close enough I would be happy to assist if I can :)

Feb 3, 2011
PM sent, Coach-n-Dad, thanks!!

We get 7-8 practices before the seeding tournament on Labor Day Weekend. Last year, I think there were 20-25 10u teams, so once they were seeded, teams were grouped into 4 or 5 divisions to play a 6-week schedule of doubleheaders leading up to a season-ending tourney the 1st weekend of Nov. Some teams chose to skip the final tourney, but it's a 3-4gg for everyone who shows up, meaning teams can get about 20 games during the brief fall season.

There will be a nice break for the players during Nov-Dec, but after a shorter zero-softball rest, I expect pitchers to use their downtime wisely. They don't have to be super-intense or do really long workouts, but they should do the things necessary to keep their skills sharp. I liken it to the basketball player who goes down the gym a couple times a week to shoot jumpers during Christmas/Hanukkah break.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA