Fake Bunt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I've called this play quite a bit... Square up and lay a sac. The next time we've got runners on with less than 2 outs, we'll square up early again to get the corners crashing. Then BOOM pull back and hit.... then the D is a whole lot less likely to crash on bunts, thus freeing us up to short game them.
As an additional option, show sac, pull back into a load, then drop a drag down the line. If you've got players than can execute these plays, you'll be a tough team to beat

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
giphy.gif

Is that little back knee action forward before the stride starts one of the examples given in the golf video?

Yes, this is a 'forward press' as well.

May 16, 2016
Unfortunate that the example is not displaying for you ... maybe this link will work better for you ... https://s20.postimg.cc/dpzd25s0t/Encarnacion_side_Forward_Press.gif. Providing more examples that you can't view won't help.

Yes ... some coaches use the mechanic to draw in a defense that is not well trained ... and then blow one by them before they have a chance to react. That may seem dangerous ... but it is part of the game as I know it.

No "seem" about it. It is dangerous.

May 16, 2016
Creep versus Crash.

Less Dangerous vs More dangerous... Still dangerous, and totally uncalled for below high school age.

If a coach feels the need to call a slash to win games, i would question their ability as a coach, as well as my affiliation with their organization.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Less Dangerous vs More dangerous... Still dangerous, and totally uncalled for below high school age.

If a coach feels the need to call a slash to win games, i would question their ability as a coach, as well as my affiliation with their organization.

Hmmm some might question the ability of a coach that doesn't teach the proper defense too.

Dangerous? So what would you call a pitcher throwing a ball to a batter that her whole intent (for the most part) is to hit that pitch hard? Playing any physical sport is "dangerous". It's the coaches job to reduce that risk by teaching the proper reaction to the play. Will some still get hurt? Sure, from the foul ball breaking the catcher's wrist to the girl sliding into a base and breaking her ankle.

Apr 16, 2013
This seems to be more accepted in softball. I know when my daughter plays baseball, this earns the next batter a fastball to the ribs. PERIOD. Bunt 'n slash is considered super bush league. Should be even worse when the corners play 30 feet away from the batter.

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
Hmmm some might question the ability of a coach that doesn't teach the proper defense too.

Dangerous? So what would you call a pitcher throwing a ball to a batter that her whole intent (for the most part) is to hit that pitch hard? Playing any physical sport is "dangerous". It's the coaches job to reduce that risk by teaching the proper reaction to the play. Will some still get hurt? Sure, from the foul ball breaking the catcher's wrist to the girl sliding into a base and breaking her ankle.

So what is the proper reaction to a bunt n slash? Take one for the team?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
It's the coaches job to reduce that risk by teaching the proper reaction to the play. Will some still get hurt? Sure,
Say's the coaches sitting behind the fence.......
There's casualties in war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi