Fairness Re: Injured Player at Tryouts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Issue 1: Will people complain that tryouts are rigged or otherwise unfair if she makes the team without being able to compete? She is going to attend to help out, but her doctor said she's a no go for participating in any of the skills evaluations. It's also not fair to her to keep her off the team if she's going to return shortly after tryouts.

This isn't an issue. You can't care what others think or more importantly you can't take what other think into consideration for a decision that is yours to make. You have already said that #15 is going to be someone who hasn't played before - keeping someone who CAN play - and can play an important position - is a no-brainer no matter how her injury status works out.

Issue 2: I have no idea how long she's out. If she's only going to be out a couple weeks, I'll take 14 plus her and we'll just play a girl short until she's back.

This is also not an issue. Your cuts are not travel or even rec players by the sound of it. People probably have no idea what the # of players you are allowed to keep is. You may not even keep 14 of the tryout girls if there are multiple 'never played befores' in that 14.

Do I talk to that last girl cut and offer her the chance to practice with the team the first week, knowing her spot on the team is contingent on another girl's health (this seems like a really bad idea!)?

I would not do this. This girl isn't going to make or break your team this year or in any future year - especially when you seem unsure that some of the players who HAVE played before are good enough to beat out a player who has never played before.

My one concern in this sort of situation is that 20 @ tryout can dwindle REAL fast - you then select 14 and 4 of them decide it isn't worth it.... now you have 10... Be wary of the 'playing/trying out because my friend if playing/trying out' dynamic. At tryouts you may have to separate the 'played before' from the 'never played' and run basically 2 tryouts - so you may need help there.

May 13, 2012
As mentioned already blanket rules can bite you no matter how good the intentions are. As far as worrying what others think, I think u are correct to a point in worrying. Game time you put players on the field that you have REASONS why you put them there to win games and don't look back. Notice I didn't say feel. Tryouts do need to have the appearance of fair. With the time commitment of HS sports any thing less than fair and you stand the chance of fewer and fewer showing up yr to yr. Tryouts, there can always be late tryouts. You need something in place to handle late transfer students. Our state rules allow that a student on school team x 8 counties over, moves to new address can apply and be allowed to start mid season on school team y in new county/district. Would you want to miss out on the next Abbot who transfers in late? Cannon ball might be a good resource to reach out to. Seems he's be coaching HS a long time and is well respected on here.

Feb 15, 2016
Injured girl needs to show up at tryouts on crutches if she is able. This happens all the time. If you weren't a brand new team and she was your returning CF you wouldn't have any issue. It sounds like you have a huge disparity in talent. This girl is a good player and the team needs her. End of story. Easy to explain if anyone complains later. The tough situations are when players are close in ability and you pick one over the other. Pick your team and add her later. This is real life varsity and big girl rules and that means clearly better players get selected for teams. Is your AD really that rigid that you can't add a player in a special situation like this?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
... including a girl who I had penciled in as our starting CF.

I'm being a little nit-picky and idealistic here, but if I'm a parent of a kid trying out, I would want to believe that the head coach on a brand new team has not penciled anybody into anything prior to tryouts. Unless it's blatantly obvious, like a stud pitcher or catcher who has unique skills that no one else comes close to matching. Even as a coach, I'd resist the temptation to think that sort of thing because I think it's human nature that once we pencil things in, we are less open-minded. Would rather hear a coach say ''from what little I saw of her she appears to have the ability to start on this team, maybe even in CF,' than 'penciled in' before tryouts. Again, probably nit-picking.

All that said, I'd do what LIBF said - require her to come to tryouts, even if on crutches, and take her if you want her. It's your team. Or, take 14 and give this girl an extended tryout, which says she won't be evaluated until she is healthy enough to attend 3 practices. Give that opportunity to any injured player. Then after those 3 practices, make it official and give her a uniform.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
In the tryouts I have done in the past, you can't really take one days performance as the deciding factor in a player making the cut or not, if you have previous knowledge of the players skills, etc.

So, that being said, if she shows up to tryouts and does whatever she possible can, even if its sit there, then you can use your previous experience with her. If she didn't attend tryouts, I would say she is off the team. Coming, although injured solidifies her interest and makes it so you would have to "grade" her. Since she can't participate that day, the only thing you can grade her on is her past performances that you have seen.

But as mentioned, make sure you manager can play also, just in case.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Injured girl needs to show up at tryouts on crutches if she is able. This happens all the time. If you weren't a brand new team and she was your returning CF you wouldn't have any issue. It sounds like you have a huge disparity in talent. This girl is a good player and the team needs her. End of story. Easy to explain if anyone complains later. The tough situations are when players are close in ability and you pick one over the other. Pick your team and add her later. This is real life varsity and big girl rules and that means clearly better players get selected for teams. Is your AD really that rigid that you can't add a player in a special situation like this?

She is the returning CF, basically. Last year we were new, played just two JV games, but she was the CF for both of them.

I only say she was "penciled in" and not "returning starter" because I really am going into things with an open mind and not considering any positions set in stone.

It's not the AD. The vehicle we use for transportation to games can barely hold 15 players with 2 coaches and equipment. A 16th might be stretching the limits of what's safe.

Oct 31, 2014
If she shows up for tryouts on crutches, then she should get an extension on her tryout. Technically, she is not on the team until after she tries out, but by making the effort to show up you are allowing her tryout to be completed at a later date.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
We had a player in MS that was hurt but she came to all the tryouts and sat on the stands and watched. DD and me were happy she made the team and we never saw her play before.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
If the rule is everyone has to attend tryouts. And she is there, no one can bitch. You get to make the choices and no matter how transparent or obvious the process is. You will always have unhappy people. Make the choices you feel are best and don't look back.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
So the 15 players max is based mostly on your mode of transportation? There is no state rule or area rule you are trying to adhere to?

How about do something like keep 14 or 15 including the injured girl, and have two or three other girls that are "alternates" to be used if girls on the roster become injured or not eligible due to grades, or quit the team for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00